Our tasty Broccoli Casserole recipe has fork-tender broccoli in a creamy, cheesy sauce and is topped with buttery cracker crumbs.
My favorite part of holiday dinners is the side dishes! This broccoli casserole can easily be adapted to include other veggies or it can be turned into a main dish by adding meat.
Broccoli Casserole Ingredients
The ingredients for broccoli casserole are creamy and cheesy with a little seasoning. Although you can use low-fat substitutions, keep in mind that it will alter your results! Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Broccoli: This recipe calls for two heads of fresh broccoli cut into florets which makes about 8 cups of florets. You can use frozen broccoli if you prefer.
- Cheese: We used shredded sharp cheddar cheese for the flavor. Another flavorful cheese, such as pepper jack, can be used instead.
- Condensed Soup: The base of the sauce is a can of condensed cream of chicken soup. You can also use cream of mushroom or cream of celery.
- Mayonnaise & Sour Cream: The mayonnaise and sour cream add flavor and creaminess. You can use the both like we do or use all of one or the other, if you prefer.
- Onion: We use dried minced onion for the added flavor. You can use fresh minced onion or onion powder instead.
- Worcestershire Sauce: The worcestershire sauce add flavor to the casserole.
- Black Pepper: A little coarse ground black pepper goes a long way.
- Crackers: Crushed buttery crackers, such as Ritz, are the perfect topping!
- Butter: The melted butter is mixed into the crushed crackers for the topping.
How To Make Broccoli Casserole
There are only a few simple steps to making broccoli casserole. Par-cook the broccoli, add the creamy sauce ingredients, and bake until golden brown! Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Broccoli: The broccoli need to be partially cooked before adding it to the casserole. Put the broccoli in a large pot and add about two cups of water. Bring the water to a boil, add the lid, turn the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain the water from the broccoli.
- Creamy Sauce: Add the shredded sharp cheddar cheeese, cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, dried minced onion, Worcestershire sauce, and coarse ground black pepper to the broccoli in the pot. Stir to combine everything. Spread the mixture in a greased casserole dish. Mix together the crushed crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle the mixture over the casserole.
- Cook: Bake the broccoli casserole at 350˚F for 25-30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Broccoli Casserole Variations
You can swap out ingredients or add them as you see fit. Here are a few suggestions:
- Rice: Add a cup or two of cooked rice to the mixture before spreading it in the dish. You may need to stir in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk.
- Chicken: Shredded or cubed chicken can be added to turn it into a main dish.
- Stuffing: Prepare the stuffing according to the package and spread it over the casserole instead of using the crushed ritz crackers.
- Veggies: Turn this into a veggie casserole by using a combination of vegetables instead of just broccoli.
Broccoli Casserole Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the broccoli needs to be partially cooked before the casserole in order for it to be fork-tender when done.
Yes, you can substitute fresh broccoli for frozen in this casserole.
For a thicker broccoli casserole sauce, make sure your broccoli is well-drained and use full-fat ingredients. The shredded cheese, cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, and sour cream work together to make a thick, creamy sauce.
Want more side dish recipes? Try these next:
Green Bean Casserole is a popular side dish at every holiday meal! Coat the beans in a creamy sauce and top them with French fried onions.
Here’s how to make Garlic Mashed Potatoes scratch. These smooth, creamy, flavorful potatoes are the perfect side dish.
Tender Roasted Carrots are an easy side dish the whole family will enjoy. The honey butter glaze makes for an extra special treat!
Soft, homemade Dinner Rolls are simple enough for a weeknight meal but special enough for a holiday dinner! My mom gave me this easy dinner roll recipe.