This Creamed Corn recipe has tender sweet corn coated in a creamy sauce topped with golden Parmesan cheese. It’s a classic holiday side dish.
Creamed corn was one of my dad’s favorite’s when I was growing up. This homemade version is often served at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter but can be used for a weeknight dinner as well.
Creamed Corn Ingredients
With only a few simple ingredients you can make homemade creamed corn that everyone will love! This rich, creamy side dish will become a must-have at holiday dinners. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Butter: You’ll use the butter to make a roux for the cream sauce.
- Flour: We used all-purpose flour in an equal amout to the butter.
- Milk: The whole milk helps thin the roux.
- Heavy Cream: The heavy cream add fat and creaminess to the sauce.
- Sugar: We added granulated sugar to sweetned the creamed corn.
- Salt: A little salt add a lot of flavor. Each person can season their serving with additional salt if needed.
- Pepper: We chose white pepper for presentation purposes but black pepper could be used as well.
- Corn: This recipe calls for two packages of frozen corn. But you can also use fresh corn cut from the cob or drained canned corn.
- Cheese: We topped the cream corn with Parmesan cheese to add flavor. You can skip the cheese if you prefer.
How To Make Creamed Corn
To make creamed corn you start by making the cream sauce, add the corn, and end with toasting the cheese under the broiler. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Cream Sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in the flour. Cook the flour, stirring constantly, for two minutes. Next, whisk in the milk, heavy cream, granulated sugar, salt and white pepper. Bring the to a boil stirring constantly.
- Corn: Add the thawed corn and stir to coat with the sauce. After that, continue cooking the creamed corn, stirring constantly, until it is heated through.
- Broil: Transfer the corn to a casserole dish, top it with the parmesan cheese and toast it under the broiler.
Creamed Corn Frequently Asked Questions
Canned corn is corn kernels with water and salt. Creamed corn is corn kernels in a sweetened cream sauce.
You can add four ounces of softened cream cheese to the cream sauce mixture in this recipe.
Yes, you can make it ahead of time and reheat it in the oven.
More Ways To Prepare Corn
This Corn Casserole recipe, aka corn pudding, is a traditional Thanksgiving side dish. It’s a creamier, cheesier version of cornbread!
Serve this classic boiled Corn on the Cob with plenty of butter and salt! It’s easy to make and everyone loves it!
Cowboy Caviar with corn, black beans, and tomatoes is popular as a side dish and as an appetizer!
This Fried Corn recipe with crumbled bacon is a quick, irresistible side dish that your family will ask for again and again!
Want more side dish recipes? Try these next:
This tasty Broccoli Casserole recipe has fork-tender broccoli in a creamy, cheesy sauce, topped with buttery cracker crumbs.
Green Bean Casserole is a popular side dish at every holiday meal! Coat the beans in a creamy sauce and top them with French fried onions.
These tender Glazed Carrots are sweet with a little spice. They are a great side dish to serve with chicken, beef, pork, or fish.
Mashed Potatoes are the perfect side dish for a holiday dinner or a weeknight meal. Here’s how to make them smooth and creamy!