This homemade Ranch Dressing recipe is easy to make and better than store-bought! Your family will love using it as a salad dressing and dip.
Although we like many different salad dressings, ranch dressing remains our favorite! Besides being delicious on a large variety of salads, it can be used as a dip for anything from chicken nuggets to pizza.
Ranch Dressing Recipe Ingredients
The ingredients needed for this ranch dressing recipe are actually pretty basic and you probably have them in your kitchen already. So, you can easily whip it up anytime you want! Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Milk: The whole milk helps thin the dressing while maintaining the creaminess.
- Vinegar: We added vinegar to the milk to make buttermilk. You could also use lemon juice if you prefer.
- Mayonnaise: The mayonnaise adds flavor and creaminess.
- Sour Cream: We also added sour cream for extra creaminess and a little tanginess.
- Herbs: We used dried chives, parsley, and dill weed to make this ranch dressing. You can substitute the dried herbs with fresh ones if you prefer but you will need two to three times as much fresh as dried.
- Garlic Powder: We chose garlic powder but minced garlic would also work in this recipe. Also, you can add more or less garlic powder depending on your preferences.
- Onion Powder: The onion powder adds flavor to the dressing.
- Black Pepper: A little black pepper adds a spicy flavor and flecks of color.
- Salt: We added a little salt to help bring out the flavors of the dressing.
How To Make Ranch Dressing
There are only three easy steps in this recipe! Make the buttermilk, whisk everything together, and refrigerate to thicken. Kids would love to help make this dressing. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Prep: Mix together the milk and vinegar to make buttermilk. You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar if you prefer.
- Whisk: Add the buttermilk to the remaining ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Chill: Transfer the ranch dressing to a mason jar and add the cover. Place it in the refrigerator to allow the flavor to combine and the dressing to thicken.
Ranch Dressing Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
You can use skim milk, light mayonnaise, and light sour cream but the dressing won’t be as creamy or thick. Try adding less skim milk to start and only add more as needed.
Restaurant ranch dressing is so good because it is freshly made with full-fat ingredients just like this recipe!
The flavor is a combination of tangy creaminess (buttermilk, mayo, and sour cream), herbs (chives, parsley, and dill), and a little bite/spice (garlic, onion, and black pepper).
Try it on these salad recipes:
This Apple Cranberry Salad is sweet and crunchy, crisp and tart! It’s simple enough for a weekday lunch yet fancy enough for holiday dinners!
Always a crowd favorite, this Taco Salad recipe is topped with tomatoes, corn, beans, taco meat, onions, and cheese!
This Corn Salad recipe is a creamy combination of fresh sweet corn, colorful peppers, and ripe tomatoes! It is the perfect summer salad for potlucks, picnics, and barbecues.