This homemade Ranch Dressing recipe is easy to make and better than store-bought! Your family will love using it as a salad dressing and dip.
Although we like many different salad dressings, ranch dressing remains our favorite! Besides being delicious on a large variety of salads, it can be used as a dip for anything from pizza to chicken tenders.
What’s Included In This Post
Ingredients and Substitutions
The ingredients needed for this ranch dressing recipe are actually pretty basic, and you probably have them in your kitchen already. So you can easily whip it up anytime you want!
- Milk: This recipe uses whole milk to thin the dressing while maintaining the creaminess. You can use lighter milk if you prefer, but the dressing will be thinner.
- Vinegar: We added vinegar to the milk to make buttermilk. You could also use lemon juice if you prefer.
- Mayonnaise: We used full-fat, original mayonnaise because it adds flavor and creaminess. Other alternatives include a light mayo or Miracle Whip but keep in mind that any substitutions may change the flavor and creaminess of the dressing.
- Sour Cream: We also added sour cream for extra creaminess and a little tanginess. Again, you can try using light sour cream or even Greek yogurt, but it may change the flavor and texture.
- Herbs: We used dried chives, parsley, and dill weed to make this ranch dressing. You can substitute the dried herbs with fresh ones if you prefer, but you will need two to three times as much fresh as dried.
- Garlic Powder: We chose garlic powder, but minced garlic would also work in this recipe. Also, you can add more or less garlic powder, depending on your preferences.
- Onion Powder: The onion powder adds flavor to the dressing.
- Black Pepper: A little black pepper adds a spicy flavor and flecks of color.
- Salt: We added a little salt to help bring out the flavors of the dressing.
How To Make Ranch Dressing
There are only three easy steps in this recipe! Make the buttermilk, whisk everything together, and refrigerate to thicken. Kids would love to help make this dressing.
Prep: Mix together the milk and vinegar to make buttermilk. You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar if you prefer.
Whisk: Add the buttermilk to the remaining ingredients and whisk until combined.
Chill: Transfer the ranch dressing to a mason jar and add the cover. Place it in the refrigerator to allow the flavor to combine and the dressing to thicken.
Spicy Ranch Dressing
If you want to make the dressing spicy, add a little hot sauce and some dried peppers such as cayenne, ancho chili, or crushed red peppers. Start with only a 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon and add more as needed.
Store homemade ranch dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. It does not freeze well, so only make as much as you plan to use within a week.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use skim milk, light mayonnaise, and light sour cream, but the dressing won’t be as creamy or thick. Try adding less skim milk to start and only add more as needed.
Restaurant ranch dressing is so good because it is freshly made with full-fat ingredients, just like this recipe!
The flavor is a combination of tangy creaminess (buttermilk, mayo, and sour cream), herbs (chives, parsley, and dill), and a little bite/spice (garlic, onion, and black pepper).
Try It On These Salads
- This Apple Cranberry Salad is a combination of sweet and tart!
- Our Taco Salad can be served for lunch or dinner.
- Corn Salad is a summer favorite!
- This Cobb Salad recipe is a classic.
- This creamy Lemon Vinaigrette tastes like dressing from a restaurant!
- Poppy Seed Dressing is perfect for strawberry spinach salad.
- Use homemade Italian Dressing on an Olive Garden Italian salad!
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing adds a little heat and a lot of flavor!
Ranch Dressing Recipe
- Whisk together the whole milk and vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, dried chives dried parsley, dried dill weed, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.