This easy homemade Cheese Sauce recipe is smooth and creamy. Use as a dip for croutons and chips or pour over veggies and pasta!
We are a family of cheese lovers and this simple recipe is a great one to keep on hand. There are so many ways to use this cheese sauce or it could even be the start of another recipe such as broccoli cheese soup!
Start by melting two tablespoons of salted butter over medium-low heat.
Whisk in two tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
Can I use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, a gluten-free flour made with rice flour can be substituted in an equal amount for the all-purpose flour called for in this recipe.
Cook the flour and butter over medium-low heat for two minutes, whisking constantly.
Add about 1/4 cup of whole milk and whisk until smooth.
Continue adding the milk a little at a time, whisking until smooth. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often until it begins to thicken.
Stir in the garlic powder and black pepper.
Remove from heat, add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir until smooth.
Can I use other kinds of cheese to make this cheese sauce recipe?
Yes! You can use an equal amount of another shredded cheese to make different variations. Or use up what you have in the fridge and combine two or more flavors.
What else can I add to this basic cheese sauce?
This basic cheese sauce recipe is exactly that…it’s basic and easy to make. It can be used as is or changed in so many ways. The first is to switch up the cheese as noted above. Another is to swap out some of the milk for chicken broth. Here are some more things that could be added:
- additional salt and pepper
- onion powder
- ground mustard
- cayenne pepper
- cream cheese
How can this cheese sauce be used?
- Pizza Sauce: Use the cheese sauce instead of pizza sauce on a breakfast pizza or pretzel pizza!
- Fondue: Serve the cheese sauce with things for dipping such as homemade croutons, veggies, apple slices, grapes, or meatballs.
- Chips & Dip: This cheese sauce is the perfect dip for tortilla chips, corn chips, or even crackers.
- Cooked Vegetables: Pour over steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
- Macaroni and Cheese: Stir into cooked elbow or shell noodles.
Would this work in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can prepare the cheese sauce as directed in the recipe and then keep it warm in a slow cooker for a party. Another option would be to keep it warm in a fondue pot.
Want more cheesy dips and sauces? Try these next:
Smoked Gouda Fondue is the best cheesy appetizer! Dip in all of your favorite savory foods. Or make it part of a fun dinner with cubed chicken and steak!
This Easy Queso Blanco Recipe is a quick way to make white cheese dip using Velveeta and peppers. Serve with chips as a side dish or an appetizer!
Homemade Alfredo Sauce is easy to make with simple ingredients like butter, cream, and parmesan. It’s the perfect sauce for Fettuccine Alfredo!
This Cheddar Cheese Fondue recipe is a kid-friendly cheese dip that can be used as an appetizer or as a fun dinner! Serve with cubed bread, fruit, and veggies.
Cheese Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook while stirring for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk a little at a time. Whisk until smooth before adding more.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often until it begins to thicken.
- Whisk in the garlic powder and black pepper.
- Remove from heat and add the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until smooth. Taste and add a little salt if needed.