This Easy Queso Blanco Recipe is a quick way to make white cheese dip using Velveeta and peppers. Serve with chips as a side dish or an appetizer!
Our favorite place to vacation is Wilmington, North Carolina. Over the years it’s become our home-away-from-home. We love visiting our friends who live in the area and, of course, we love spending time on Wrightsville Beach.
One of our favorite local restaurants is called Islands Fresh Mex Grill. Everything we’ve tried at the restaurant is delicious but we all agree that our favorite item on the menu is the chips and queso!
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
Not long after returning from one of our vacations, I tried making queso blanco dip and it turned out great! Then, I tried to make it again, when a bunch of friends were at our house and it didn’t work as well.
I realized that the biggest difference in the queso recipe was the cheese I used. The first time I made it, I used Velveeta Queso Blanco and the second time I used white cheddar cheese.
While it tastes great with the white cheddar cheese, it was way too thick. As my friends filled their plates, they let me know that the dip was too thick and wondered what how I could thin it out.
Finally, I added a bunch of salsa to the dip and that thinned it. So, I wanted to go back to the first time I made the white cheese dip using Velveeta to see if it would turn out smooth again… and sure enough, it did!
How To Make Easy Queso Blanco
To make the queso blanco recipe, cut a two-pound block of Velveeta queso blanco cheese into cubes.
Put the cheese cubes, pureed peppers, milk, butter, cumin, and pepper into a saucepan.
Over medium heat, melt everything together, stirring often until smooth. Add additional milk if needed.
If you don’t eat it all right away, you can store it in the fridge and reheat the queso blanco in the microwave.
Easy Queso Blanco Recipe Tips and FAQs
1. Can I leave the diced green chilies and diced jalapenos out? Yes, but you may need to add more milk because the liquid in the peppers helps to thin out the queso.
2. Can this easy queso blanco be made in a crockpot? Yes! Just put all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 1 – 2 hours. Stir until smooth. Turn the temperature to warm for serving.
3. Can this recipe be made ahead of time and reheated? Yes, this queso blanco reheated. Add more milk it necessary.
4. I can’t find the Velveeta Queso Blanco. Can I make queso with the regular Velveeta instead? Definitely! It will change the color, of course, and change the flavor but it will still be delicious.
5. Want more ingredients in your queso blanco? Add diced onions, a can of Rotel, a dash of hot sauce, minced garlic
6. How about toppings for the queso blanco? Try topping it with diced tomatoes, cilantro, or jalapenos.
7. To make this queso more hearty, include some meat. Try adding one pound of cooked hot Italian sausage or seasoned, cooked, ground beef taco meat.
Updated from the original recipe shared in October 2014