This Pretzel Pizza recipe makes the BEST homemade pizza ever with double cheddar cheese sauce! Make it for parties, game day or a favorite family dinner.
It’s no secret that we are a family of pizza lovers. We have pizza in some for at least once a week. When my son found out that Little Caesars introduced a soft pretzel crust pizza, he couldn’t get it out of his mind.
It took us a couple of months before we finally made it to the pizza place to pick one up. And the verdict…it was everything he hoped it would be! So, of course I had to try making a homemade pretzel pizza and you guys…it is the BEST pizza I’ve ever made!
Well, first of all, the crust is a giant soft pretzel, which is amazing all on its own. But then, instead of the traditional pizza sauce, this pizza has cheese sauce!
Start with an easy soft pretzel dough recipe. Anyone can make this dough! Even my kids have made this dough, all by themselves.
I made this pretzel dough in my Kitchen Aid mixer, using the dough hook. First, dissolve the yeast, sugar and salt in warm water. Stir in the flour and knead until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover and let it rise for one hour. You can find step-by-step images of this soft pretzel dough in my blog post for Auntie Anne’s Inspired Soft Pretzel Nuggets.
Mix together warm water and baking soda. Dump the whole ball of dough onto a lightly floured surface. Then, gather up the whole ball of dough and dunk it in the warm water/baking soda mixture. This is what will give the dough that “pretzel” flavor.
Spread the dough out into a large circle. Brush with additional water/baking soda mixture and sprinkle with kosher salt (or pretzel salt).
Bake at 425 degrees for 6-8 minutes.
Spread cheese sauce over the crust within about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches of the edge. You want to have a delicious soft pretzel border! I used Ragu Double Cheddar, a store bought cheese sauce that comes in a jar. I found near the alfredo sauces in the pasta aisle. Or if you are feeling ambitious, you can make your own cheese sauce.
Sprinkle on some finely shredded cheddar cheese.
Add some pepperoni. I used extra large slices of pepperoni (Applegate Uncured Pepperoni) which makes the pizza look like it is a mini but never fear, it is full size.
Top with a little shredded Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of oregano.
Return to the oven and bake at 425 degrees for an additional 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden. Brush the edges of the pizza with melted butter and sprinkle with additional kosher salt. You are going to love this homemade Pretzel Pizza and your family will be requesting it often, just like mine does.
Pretzel Pizza Recipe
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups warm water
- 4 cups flour
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 2 cups warm water
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 extra large or 20 regular size pepperoni
- 1/8 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- Dissolve yeast, sugar and salt in 1½ cups warm water.
- Stir in flour and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat.
- Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Dissolve baking soda in 2 cups warm water.
- Dump the whole ball of dough onto a lightly floured surface. Then, gather up the whole ball of dough and dunk it in the warm water/baking soda mixture. This is what will give the dough that “pretzel” flavor.
- Spread the dough out into a large circle. Brush with additional water/baking soda mixture and sprinkle with kosher salt (or pretzel salt).
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Spread cheese sauce over the crust within about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches of the edge.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese, pepperoni, shredded parmesan and oregano.
- Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Brush edges with melted butter and sprinkle with kosher salt.
Pretzel crust adapted from Mall Pretzels
Here are a few more pizza recipes to try: