These Chocolate Mint Brownies are melt in your mouth amazing! Everyone raves about this dessert with the mint buttercream icing and chocolate mint icing.
My husband and I have always loved chocolate and mint. One of the desserts we served at our wedding was homemade chocolate mint brownies. We asked friends and relatives to bring pans of brownies to serve.
We even gave them the recipe since many of them had not made these brownies before. Somewhere along the way I lost that recipe. I finally decided to create a similar recipe to share on my blog.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
I found a recipe in a cookbook that I thought seemed similar but when I made it the brownie part of the bars was bland, dry and hard. So, I turned to my vintage Hershey’s Homemade cookbook and adapted the Hershey’s Premium Doubly Chocolate Brownies recipe. This recipe is a little different than other brownie recipes because it includes boiling coffee.
Whisk together cocoa and baking soda. Stir in melted butter. Add the boiling coffee and stir until the mixture thickens. Stir in the sugar, eggs, and additional butter until smooth. Mix in the flour, vanilla, and salt. Spread in a greased 9×13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, just until the brownies start to pull away from the edges of the pan.
Allow the brownies to cool completely and then cover with mint buttercream frosting. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the buttercream to harden.
Melt chocolate chips, butter, and light corn syrup in the microwave at 50% power until smooth, stirring after 2 minutes and then every 30 seconds. Stir in the peppermint extract. Pour over the chilled bars and quickly spread over the pan. Return to the fridge so the chocolate can set.
Allow the chocolate to cool and set. Drizzle with melted green candy melts.
Bonus Tip: Melt the candy melts in the microwave. Spoon into a plastic baggie or icing bag. Snip a tiny piece of the corner of the bag off and pipe the melted candy over the bars.
Although I do enjoy everything about these Chocolate Mint Brownies, I’ve got to say that the mint buttercream with the chocolate on top is my favorite part. I’m thinking that I need to try to make a truffle recipe with just those two elements!
- Whisk together cocoa and baking soda. Stir in melted butter. Add the boiling coffee and stir until the mixture thickens. Stir in the sugar and eggs until smooth. Mix in the flour, vanilla, and salt. Spread in a greased 9×13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, just until the brownies start to pull away from the edges of the pan.
- Beat the softened butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar, 2 tbsp of milk, and mint extract. Stir until combined, then beat until smooth.
- Stir in the green gel paste or food coloring until it is the shade of green you want.
- Spread over the cooled brownies.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes so that the buttercream can set before adding the chocolate layer.
- Melt chocolate chips, butter, and light corn syrup in the microwave at 50% power for 2 minutes. Stir and continue heating at 50% power for 30-second intervals and stirring until smooth.
- Mix in the peppermint extract.
- Pour over the mint buttercream frosting and spread to cover.
- Return to the fridge to harden.
- Drizzle with melted green candy melts before serving, if desired.
More Chocolate Mint Recipes To Try: