Homemade Chocolate Truffles have a thin chocolate shell with melt-in-your-mouth smooth chocolate inside! Give as a gift to your loved ones.
As a chocolate lover, chocolate truffles are one of my favorite treats. My kids used to call them “special chocolates” when they were little and always begged me to share them with them. Now we like to make them ourselves and decorate them for any occasion.
In This Post
Chocolate Truffles Ingredients
Only a few ingredients are needed to make outstanding chocolate truffles at home!
- Chocolate: We used semi-sweet baking bars. Chocolate baking bars are meant to melt quickly and smoothly, so they are perfect for making truffles. You can use chocolate chips, but the truffles will not be as smooth and meltable on the inside.
- Cream: Heavy cream is heated and used to melt the chocolate. It also makes the truffles melt easily in your mouth.
- Butter: A little butter adds fat and flavor and increases the meltablility of the truffles.
- Wafers: High-quality chocolate wafers are used for the coating. You can use chocolate chips or chocolate almond bark, but the resulting taste and appearance will not be the same.
- Sprinkles: We used heart-shaped sprinkles to decorate these chocolate truffles, but you can use any sprinkles you want or leave them plain.
Truffle Filling Variations
The sky is the limit when it comes to what you stir into the chocolate ganache. Keep it plain, or try adding one of these mix-ins:
- Flavoring: Try adding a flavored extract or oil such as peppermint, raspberry, or orange.
- Peanut Butter: Stir in some creamy peanut butter for a chocolate peanut butter combo.
- Marshmallow Cream: Add a swirl of marshmallow cream for extra sweetness.
- Nuts: Chopped nuts add a little crunch.
- Cookies: Crushed Oreos are a delicious addition.
How To Make Chocolate Truffles
Chocolate truffles are easy to make, but they are time-consuming, so make them on a day when you have the time.
Melt: Heat the heavy cream just to a boil and pour it over the chopped chocolate and the butter in a bowl. Allow the hot cream to melt the butter for about 5 minutes, and then stir the mixture until smooth.
Chill: Place the bowl of melted chocolate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to chill.
Scoop: Once the chocolate is firm, use a dough scoop to make small balls of chocolate. Place them on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Freeze the chocolate balls for 20-30 minutes until firm.
Dip: Melt the chocolate wafers in the microwave, at 50% power, according to the instructions on the package. Dip the chocolate balls into the melted chocolate and place them on a piece of parchment paper. Add sprinkles immediately before the chocolate shell hardens.
Truffle Coating Ideas
You can use anything from cocoa powder to sprinkles as a coating! Here are a few ideas:
- Cocoa Powder: Roll the truffles in cocoa powder for a traditional look and taste.
- Nuts: Chopped nuts are great for an added crunch.
- White Chocolate: Use white chocolate as the coating for some contrast.
- Candy Melts: Melting wafers are a fun way to add color.
- Graham Crackers: Use crushed graham crackers to coat the outside with marshmallow cream inside for a s’mores flavor.
- Cookies: Crushed Oreos are delicious on the outside as well as the inside.
Chocolate Truffles Frequently Asked Questions
Choose high-quality chocolate that will easily melt. We like using chocolate baking bars. You can use dark, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate.
Yes, these homemade chocolate truffles need to be stored in the refrigerator.
A chocolate truffle is made from chocolate and has a soft, smooth, creamy center with some sort of coating on it. They can come in different shapes and flavors. On the other hand, a chocolate is a piece of solid chocolate that can have various shapes and flavors.
More Candy Recipes
- Our homemade Peppermint Patties are so delicious.
- This Toffee Recipe is an Almond Roca copycat.
- Homemade Chocolate Covered Caramels are better than store-bought ones!
- This 5 ingredient Caramel Candy is a family tradition.
More Valentine’s Day Treats
- These glazed Valentine Donuts are simply adorable!
- Mini Conversation Heart Cookies are the cookie version of the classic candies.
- Put Breakable Chocolate Hearts in Valentine’s Day treat bags.
- These Valentine’s Day Drinks are perfect for parties!
- Give Valentine’s Candy Sticks to your loved ones.
- Put the chopped chocolate and butter in a medium, heat-proof bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the heavy cream in the microwave (or in a pan on the stovetop) just until it comes to a boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate in the bowl and let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir the chocolate and cream until smooth.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Use a small cookie dough scoop to make balls of chocolate. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 20-30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate melting wafers in the microwave, at 50% power, for 30 seconds. Stir and then continue melting and stirring in 15-second intervals until smooth.
- Dip the chocolate balls in the melted chocolate and place them on parchment paper. Immediately top with sprinkles, if desired, before the chocolate coating hardens.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.