Homemade Chocolate Truffles have a thin chocolate shell with melt-in-your-mouth smooth chocolate inside! Give as a gift to your loved ones.
As a chocolate lover, chocolate truffles are one of my favorite treats. My kids used to call them “special chocolates” when they were little and always begged for me to share with them. Now we like to make them ourselves and decorate them for any occasion.
Chocolate Truffles Ingredients
There are only a few ingredients needed to make outstanding chocolate truffles at home! Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Chocolate: We used semi-sweet baking bars. Chocolate baking bars are meant to melt quickly and smoothly so they are perfect for making truffles. You can use chocolate chips but the truffles will not be as smooth and meltable on the inside.
- Cream: Heavy cream is heated and used to melt the chocolate. It also makes the truffles melt easily in your mouth.
- Butter: A little butter adds fat, flavor, and increases the meltablility of the truffles.
- Wafers: High quality chocolate wafers are used at the coating. You can use chocolate chips or chocolate almond bark but the resulting taste and appearance will not be the same.
- Sprinkles: We used heart shaped sprinkles to decorate these chocolate truffles but you can use any sprinkles you want or leave them plain.
Additional Mix-In Ideas:
The sky is the limit when it comes to what you stir into the chocolate ganache. Keep it plain or try adding one of these mix-ins:
- Flavoring: Try adding a flavored extract or oil such as peppermint, raspberry, or orange.
- Peanut Butter: Stir in some creamy peanut butter for chocolate peanut butter combo.
- Marshmallow Cream: Add a swirl of marshmallow cream for extra sweetness.
- Nuts: Chopped nuts add a little crunch.
- Cookies: Crushed Oreos are a delicious addition.
How To Make Chocolate Truffles
Chocolate truffles are easy to make but they are time-consuming so make them on a day when you have the time. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Melt: Heat the heavy cream just to a boil and pour it over the chopped chocolate and the butter in a bowl. Allow the hot cream to melt the butter for about 5 minutes and then stir the mixture until smooth.
- Chill: Place the bowl of melted chocolate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to chill.
- Scoop: Once the chocolate is firm, use a dough scoop to make small balls of chocolate. Place them on a parchment covered baking sheet. Freeze the chocolate balls for 20-30 minutes, until firm.
- Dip: Melt the chocolate wafers in the microwave, at 50% power, according to the instructions on the package. Dip the chocolate balls into the melted chocolate and place on a piece of parchment paper. Add sprinkles immediatly before the chocolate shell hardens.
Additional Coating Ideas
You can use anything from cocoa powder to sprinkles as a coating! Here are a few ideas:
- Cocoa Powder: Roll the truffles in cocoa powder for a traditional look and taste.
- Nuts: Chopped nuts are great for an added crunch.
- White Chocolate: Use white chocolate as the coating for some contrast.
- Candy Melts: Melting wafers are fun way to add color.
- Graham Crackers: Use crushed graham crackers to coat the on with marshmallow cream inside for a s’mores flavor.
- Cookies: Crushed Oreos are delicious on the ouside as well as the inside.
Chocolate Truffles Frequently Asked Questions
Choose high-quality chocolate that will easily melt. We like using chocolate baking bars. You can use dark, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate.
Yes, these homemade chocolate truffles need to be stored in the refrigerator.
A chocolate truffle is made from chocolate and has a soft, smooth, creamy center with some sort of coating on it. They can come in different shapes and flavors. On the other hand, a chocolate is a piece of solid chocolate that can have various shapes and flavors.
Want more candy recipes? Try these next:
Homemade Peppermint Patties are so easy to make and more delicious than the store-bought ones! Cool and minty on the inside with smooth chocolate on the outside.
This Toffee Recipe is a homemade version of Almond Roca. A buttery, crunchy treat with milk chocolate that’s perfect for the holidays!
A Chocolate Covered Caramel is the most popular choice in a box of chocolates. Make your own caramel truffles that taste better than store-bought ones!
This microwave Caramel Candy recipe makes soft, melt-in-your-mouth caramels that everyone loves! Made with only 5 ingredients, they are a family tradition.
Looking for more Valentine’s Day recipes? Check these out:
Glazed Valentine Donuts are so cute with swirls and sparkles! Surprise your kids and let them help make and decorate the doughnuts.
Mini Conversation Heart Cookies will bring smiles to their faces! These bite-sized sugar cookies are a fun Valentine’s Day tradition.
Breakable Chocolate Hearts are like edible pinatas filled with candy and sprinkles. Perfect for Valentine’s Day gift bags with a mini mallet.
With these Valentine’s Day Drinks everyone gets to choose their favorite flavor combinations! Use the printable labels to decorate the cups.