Irresistible Pineapple Upside Down Cake has tender, flavorful cake with a caramelized topping, pineapple slices, and maraschino cherries!
Pineapple upside down cake is a beloved classic that is popular year-round! The sweet, chewy caramel with the moist cake and the glazed pineapple slices is sure to impress.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ingredients
There are two groups of ingredients for the cake. The first is for the topping and the second is for the cake. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Butter: You’ll need melted butter in both the topping and the cake. The butter and brown sugar combine to make the caramel topping.
- Brown Sugar: We used brown sugar because it add to the caramel flavor and works perfectly to make the topping.
- Pineapple Rings: The pineapple rings and slices are used to decorate the top of the cake. You can also use crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits if you prefer.
- Maraschino Cherries: The drained, stemless maraschio cherries are added as a pop of color on the cake.
Pineapple Cake Ingredients
- Eggs: You’ll need three large eggs for this recipe. Separate the eggs into two bowls; one for the yolks and one for the eggs whites.
- Cake Mix: We used a yellow cake mix but other flavors such as white or spice work too!
- Pineapple Juice & Water: Reserve the pineapple juice from the can of pineapple rings. Then, add enough water to make 1 cup of liquid total.
- Butter: Rather than using the oil called for on the cake mix box, use melted butter for superior flavor.
- Vanilla: We added vanilla extract to make the cake a little more special.
- Cinnamon: A little ground cinnamon is the perfect addition to this pineapple upside down cake.
How To Make Pineapple Upside Down Cake
A pineapple upside down cake is so fun to make because it is baked upside down and flipped over after baking to reveal the gorgeous top! Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Caramelized Topping: Spread the combined butter and brown sugar out in a greased 12-inch cast iron skillet (or use a 9×13-inch pan. Put a pineapple ring in the center and sliced pineapple rings around it. Place a maraschino cherry in the hole of each slice of pineapple.
- Pineapple Cake: Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. In a separate bowl beat egg yolks and then add the cake mix, pineapple juice, water, melted butter, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon. Fold in the beaten egg whites. Spoon the batter over the pineapples in the skillet.
- Bake: Bake the cake until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for about five minutes and then flip over onto a cutting board or large platter.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Frequently Asked Questions
Either too much liquid was added (make sure your drain the pineapple) or you didn’t bake the cake long enough.
Be sure to start with a greased pan! After allowing the cake to cool for five minutes, place a cutting board (or large platter) over the top of the cast iron skillet. With one hand on the hand of the skillet and the other on the cutting board, flip both over in one fluid motion.
Enjoying the Blast From The Past? Try these vintage recipes next:
Cheese Ball: This easy cheese ball recipe has bacon and pecans. Put on a charcuterie board or serve with a variety of crackers as a party appetizer!
Tuna Casserole: Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole recipe with a crunchy, buttery, Ritz cracker topping! It’s classic comfort food that’s perfect for a weeknight family dinner.
Jello Salad: This fluffy Strawberry Jello Salad recipe is perfect for every occasion from summer barbeques and holiday dinners! It is a dessert salad that everyone loves.
Fondue: From smoked gouda fondue to chocolate fondue, these classic recipes never go out of style!
Want more cake recipes? Try these next:
This Pumpkin Cake recipe is so easy to make with a cake mix, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice! Top with cream cheese frosting for the ultimate treat.
The Best Chocolate Layer Cake recipe has silky smooth chocolate swiss meringue buttercream frosting and a dark chocolate cake dotted with chocolate pieces.
This Chocolate Mint Layer Cake recipe has tender layers of chocolate cake with fluffy mint buttercream and smooth, melt in your mouth chocolate mint ganache.
Showstopping S’mores Cake with tender layers of chocolate cake, and fluffy graham cracker buttercream with chocolate ganache and toasted meringue on top.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- ⅔ cup butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6-8 pineapple rings
- 10-12 maraschino cherries
- 3 large eggs room temperature and separated
- 15.25 oz yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup pineapple juice reserved from can
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Mix together the melted butter and brown sugar. Spread in a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or a 9×13 inch pan).
- Place one pineapple ring in the center. Cut the remaining pineapple rings in half (or leave whole) and arrange around the middle one. Place a maraschino cherry in the center of each slice. Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks. Add the cake mix, pineapple juice, water, and melted butter. Beat for two minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the cake batter. Spoon the batter over the pineapples in the pan.
- Bake at 350˚F for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then invert onto a serving platter or cutting board.
Leave a Reply