Fireworks Cupcakes are a patriotic recipe for the 4th of July with fireworks cupcake toppers and popping “fireworks” in your mouth! Two ingredient cupcakes.
Fireworks Cupcakes are so much fun for the 4th of July. This easy cupcake recipe only calls for two ingredients: a cake mix and a can of strawberry soda pop! After frosting the cupcakes with red, white and blue buttercream frosting, add a fireworks cupcake topper.
hese patriotic cupcake toppers are straws filled with sprinkles and Pop Rocks to make these cupcakes sound like fireworks in your mouth. Kids love being able to “decorate” their own cupcake with sprinkles and the love the popping sounds the Pop Rocks make while eating the cupcakes.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
To make the cupcakes, mix together a white cake mix (I used Stars and Stripes Funfetti cake mix) and a can of strawberry soda pop for two minutes. Divide the cake batter between 24 lined muffin cups and bake the cupcakes.
Frost them with red, white and blue buttercream. To get the colored stripes, paint the inside of a pastry bag with food coloring gel paste. Fill the bag with buttercream and pipe onto the cupcakes using a large star tip.
Next, make the fireworks cupcake toppers. Cut red and blue striped plastic straws into two inch segments. Hold one side with a needle nose pliers and use a flame to quickly melt and seal the end closed.
Put red, white and blue sprinkles and red and blue Pop Rocks into the straw.
Make long, narrow cuts into 3 1/2 by 6 inch pieces of red and blue foil tissue paper. Roll the piece up and hot glue it into the end of the straw.
Insert the filled straws into the frosting on the cupcakes.
To enjoy the cupcakes, cut the straw and sprinkle the Pop Rocks and sprinkles on the cupcakes. (The Pop Rocks will start to get “gummy”, so don’t make the fireworks cupcake toppers too early.
The contents of the straw might need a little coaxing to get everything out. Gently roll the straw between your fingers so that the pieces break apart.) The Pop Rocks will pop in your mouth like “fireworks”!
Fireworks Cupcakes are a fun, patriotic recipe for the 4th of July with fireworks cupcake toppers and popping “fireworks” in your mouth. They are not only pretty to look at but they are also fun to eat!
Fireworks Cupcakes 4th of July RecipePrint Pin Rate
- White cake mix I used Stars and Stripes Funfetti
- 1 can Crush Strawberry Soda Pop
- Mix cake mix and strawberry soda for 2 minutes. Divide the cake batter between 24 lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 19-23 minutes.
- Beat butter, shortening and vanilla until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating after each cup.
- Beat in 1/2 cup heavy cream until light and fluffy. If necessary, add additional heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time until it is the consistency you want.
- Paint the inside of a pastry bag, fitted with a large star tit, with stripes of gel paste food coloring: two blue and two red.
- Spoon buttercream into pastry bag and pipe onto cupcake.
- When color runs out, repeat the process until all of the cupcakes are frosted.
Also, check out these 4th of July Recipes: