This Banana Cupcakes recipe is a great way to use up those ripe bananas! They are easy to make with a white boxed cake mix.
We always seem to misjudge the number of bananas we will use and end up with some overripe bananas. We love using them to make pancakes, bars, bread, and now banana cupcakes!
What You’ll Find In This Post
Banana Cupcakes Ingredients
There are only five ingredients needed in this easy banana cupcakes recipe, and you probably already have them on hand.
- Cake Mix: The base of this recipe is one white boxed cake mix. Using a cake mix is an easy way to cut back on the number of ingredients you have to pull out. You could substitute a yellow cake mix, a spice cake mix, or even a chocolate cake mix.
- Eggs: You’ll need the three large eggs called for on the cake mix box. You can use four egg whites instead if you prefer.
- Bananas: We used 3/4 cup of ripe mashed bananas in this recipe. When I have leftover bananas that we aren’t going to be able to use, I peel and slice them and store them in an airtight container in the freezer. Then, when we want to make a recipe with bananas, they are ready to thaw and use.
- Vegetable Oil: The mashed bananas replaced some of the oil, but you’ll still need 1/4 cup. You can use canola oil or olive oil instead if you prefer.
- Water: Most of the water was replaced with the mashed bananas, but we still added a little to make up the difference.
- Banana Flavoring (optional): These cupcakes have a light banana flavor. If you want to increase the banana flavor, you can add 1-2 teaspoons of banana extract or banana flavoring.
How To Make Banana Cupcakes
These banana cupcakes are so easy to make, especially with the boxed cake mix. This would be a great recipe for kids to help with or even make themselves!
Ingredients: Put all of the ingredients into a large bowl. Yes, it is that simple unless you are planning to frost the cupcakes, in which case you’ll want to leave the frosting aside until later.
Mix Batter: Start by stirring the batter until combined by using a low speed on the mixer. Then, turn it up to medium and beat the batter for two minutes.
Muffin Pan: You’ll need two 12-count muffin pans. Line the muffin pan cups with cupcake liners. Then, divide the batter between the 24 lined muffin cups.
Bake: These banana cupcakes need to bake for 15-19 minutes at 350˚F.
Decorate: Once the cupcakes cool, you can decorate them with cream cheese buttercream, and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
Additional Ingredients Options
Although banana cupcakes are delicious as is, they can be changed by adding some stir-ins. If you want to add more to these cupcakes, simply stir the extra ingredients into the batter. Here are a few suggestions:
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- white chocolate chips
- butterscotch chips
- chopped walnuts
- chopped pecans
- dried cranberries
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, these banana cupcakes have 3/4 cups of mashed bananas in them! You can increase the banana flavoring by adding banana extract if you want.
Although banana cupcakes do have mashed bananas in them, they are still considered a dessert and can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet. See this Low Carb Banana Bread for a lighter recipe.
Banana cupcakes don’t need to be refrigerated unless you frost them with cream cheese buttercream, which does need to be stored in the refrigerator.
More Banana Recipes
- This Banana Cheesecake Dessert is cool, creamy, and delicious!
- Make Banana Bars with homemade maple buttercream frosting.
- I love these Banana Oat Muffins with peanut butter on top.
- Banana Nut Scones are delicious with a cup of coffee!
- These bakery-style Banana Muffins have chocolate chips inside.
- 16.25 oz white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup ripe mashed bananas
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon banana flavoring optional see note one
- 3 cups cream cheese buttercream or use store-bought
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Add 24 cupcake liners to two 12 cup muffin pans. Set aside
- Put all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir with a mixer for 30 seconds. Then, beat for two minutes.
- Divide the batter between the 24 muffin cups.
- Bake at 350˚F for 15-19 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use a closed star tip to pipe cream cheese buttercream on top and sprinkle with a little ground cinnamon.