These fun Watermelon Cupcakes have actual watermelon baked inside with a swirl of buttercream and mini chocolate chips for seeds on top.
I recently shared a recipe for a watermelon cake but sometimes it just easier to make and serve cupcakes than it is to serve a cake. So I decided to make these watermelon cupcakes that are perfect for all of your summer celebrations!
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
Where is the watermelon cupcakes recipe? In this post, I will share step-by-step instructions with photos for how to make the cupcakes, as well as answering FAQs about the recipe and sharing a short video showing the recipe in motion. But you can go directly to the recipe by scrolling down to the bottom of the post.
Step One: Watermelon Puree
You’ll need one cup of watermelon puree/juice for this recipe so cut up about 1 1/2 cups of watermelon and puree it in the blender or food processor.
Step 2: Cake Batter
For the watermelon cake batter, the ingredients are similar to those on the cake mix package but instead of water this recipe uses the pureed watermelon.
Or skip the added flavor and just use the watermelon puree.
Divide the batter between two cupcake pans with liners to make 24 cupcakes.
Bake the cupcakes, remove them from the pans and cool completely on a rack.
Divide your buttercream frosting equally between three bowls. Tint one bowl pink, one bowl green and leave one bowl of frosting white.
Put each color of frosting in a separate pastry bag and cut the tip. Then, put a pastry tip in an empty bag and put all three of the frosting bags into it.
By putting all three colors in one bag you get a beautiful swirled frosting when you pipe it onto the cupcakes.
Watermelon Cupcakes Recipe FAQs
1. Can I make these cupcakes without the watermelon puree? Yes, you can substitute one cup of watermelon puree with one cup of water.
2. I can’t find watermelon Kool-Aid. What can I use as a substitute? If you can’t find watermelon Kool-Aid in your area, you can use watermelon Jello or even LorAnn watermelon flavoring. Or skip the added flavor and just use the watermelon puree.
3. Can I make a cake instead of cupcakes? Yes! Check out my Watermelon Cake recipe for exactly how.
4. How should I store the watermelon cupcakes? Store them in an airtight container in the fridge. They should last 2-3 days.
Want More Watermelon Recipes? Try These Next:
Watermelon Salsa: This watermelon salsa recipe is so fun when served from a watermelon bowl! It is delicious with chips or on top of grilled chicken, salmon, or tacos.
Watermelon Pizza: Make this Watermelon Pizza recipe as refreshing dessert! It has a watermelon “crust” with cream cheese frosting and colorful pieces of fruit on top.
Watermelon Popsicles from Stacey Homemaker: This fresh watermelon popsicle recipe has no added sugar and it only takes 5 minutes of prep work to make!
Watermelon Salad: This watermelon salad recipe is a delicious combo of spinach, watermelon, glazed pecans, and poppyseed dressing. It’s easy to make and perfect for summer!
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Add 24 cupcake liners to two 12 cup muffin pans. Set aside.
- Puree the watermelon cubes and measure out one cup of watermelon puree.
- Put the cake mix, watermelon puree, eggs, vegetable oil, and watermelon Kool-Aid (if using) in a large mixing bowl. Mix for 30 seconds on low and then beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Divide batter between the 24 muffin cups.
- Bake at 350˚F for 19-23 minutes. Cool completely on a rack.
- Divide the buttercream into three bowls. Tint ⅓ of the buttercream pink, ⅓ green, and leave ⅓ white.
- Put a scoop of each color of buttercream in separate pastry bags and snip the corners. Place all three pastry bags into a pastry bag with a decorating tip. Pipe all three colors at once onto the cupcakes. Refill as needed.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips into the cupcakes for "seeds".
StorageStore in an airtight container in the fridge. They should last 2-3 days.