This Strawberry Pie recipe is made with fresh strawberries coated with a sweet glaze on a flaky crust topped with swirls of whipped cream!
Strawberry Pie was one of my dad’s favorites when I was growing up. It was only available when fresh strawberries were in season. So we looked forward to having it as a special summer treat!
Strawberry Pie Ingredients
- Strawberry Gelatin: To thicken the filling we used strawberry gelatin aka strawberry Jello.
- Vanilla Pudding: Vanilla cook and serve pudding is another thickener we used to make this recipe. It adds a vanilla flavoring as well as a creamier texture than gelatin alone. Be sure the pudding package says cook-and-serve on it!
- Water and Ice Cubes: The water is used to dissolve the strawberry gelatin and vanilla cook-and-serve pudding. The ice cubes are added once they are done cooking to help the liquid cool faster.
- Strawberries: We chose to slice fresh strawberries rather than leave them whole. We found that half of a small strawberry or medium strawberry worked well. But if yours are large you may need to cut them into smaller pieces.
- Pie Crust: You’ll need one baked 9-inch pie crust for this recipe. We chose to use my homemade pie crust recipe but it would also work to use a store-bought crust, a graham cracker crust, or a shortbread crust.
- Whipped Cream: We topped our strawberry pie with homemade whipped cream swirls around the edges. You can leave it plain if you prefer or make swirls using whipped topping or cool whip.
How To Make Strawberry Pie
Making a strawberry pie from scratch is so easy and it looks impressive too! (Scroll down for the printable recipe card, ingredient measurements, and step-by-step instructions.)
- Make the Glaze: Combine the gelatin, pudding, and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Boil the glaze while stirring constantly. Remove it from the heat and add the ice cubes and cool it in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the Strawberries: Rinse, hull, and slice the strawberries.
- Combine the Glaze and Strawberries: Add the sliced strawberries to the glaze and stir to coat.
- Fill the Crust: Pour the mixture into the pie crust, and chill in the refrigerator.
- Add a Garnish: Top with swirls of whipped cream before serving.
How To Make A Lighter Pie
To make a lighter version of this strawberry pie, use sugar-free jello, sugar-free vanilla cook-and-serve pudding to make the glaze. Then, use a reduced-fat graham cracker crust and light cool whip for the topping.
Could I add other fruits to a strawberry pie?
Yes, it would be delicious with other fruits! You could add fresh raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries. Just make sure that the total amount of fruit added is four cups in total.
Strawberry Pie Frequently Asked Questions
This strawberry pie filling is thickened with strawberry jello and vanilla pudding. Some recipes use cornstarch as a thickener.
Strawberry pie is made with a blind baked (aka prebaked) crust. First, make sure the crust is fully baked (golden and flaky) before removing it from the oven. Second, using this strawberry jello and vanilla pudding mixture makes for a thick filling. Third, allowing the strawberry jello mixture to cool before adding to the pie crust will help prevent a soggy crust.
Yes, you can freeze fresh strawberries for pie. Rinse, hull, and slice the strawberries. Arrange them in a single layer in a pan and place them in the freezer. Once they are frozen, transfer the strawberries to freezer bags or containers.
If your strawberry pie is runny, you didn’t allow the filling to thicken enough while boiling it or it wasn’t chilled long enough.
Cover any remaining pie and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days. Due to the fresh ingredients in this recipe it should not be left at room temperature. To freeze the strawberry pie, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and place it in an airtight freezer bag. Thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.
Want more strawberry recipes? Try these next:
This homemade Strawberry Lemonade recipe is sweet, tart, and so refreshing! You’ll want to keep a pitcher in the fridge all summer long.
This Strawberry Rhubarb Pie recipe is a quintessential summer dessert. It is sweet and tangy just like grandma used to make it.
Fluffy Strawberry Jello Salad is perfect for every occasion from summer barbecues and holiday dinners! It is a dessert salad that everyone loves.
No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake is cool and creamy!! The chocolate wafer cookie crust is the perfect complement to the easy strawberry cheesecake.
Leave a Reply