Our strawberry lemonade recipe is sweet, tart, and so refreshing! This homemade freckled lemonade is a Red Robin copycat.
There’s nothing like fresh-squeezed lemonade during the summer, and the addition of strawberries makes it even more special. You can also get the kids involved by letting them help squeeze out the lemon juice!
In This Post
Strawberry Lemonade Ingredients
- Strawberries: Choose fresh, bright red, juicy strawberries for the best strawberry lemonade. That being said, if it isn’t strawberry season, you can substitute the fresh strawberries with thawed, frozen strawberries.
- Sugar: We sweetened the lemonade with granulated sugar. For a lower sugar version, use an alternative sweetener or use a flavored Crystal Light drink mix.
- Water: Water helps to make the puree and thins it as well.
- Lemon Juice: We recommend using freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best results.
How To Make Strawberry Lemonade From Scratch
To make strawberry lemonade, make a puree with fresh strawberries, sugar, and water. Then, add the puree to freshly squeezed lemon juice and additional water and sugar. Finally, simply stir and serve over ice!
Start by making the strawberry puree. Rinse and hull about ten medium-sized strawberries.
Place the strawberries, 1/3 cup of granulated sugar, and 2 cups of water into a blender and puree the mixture until smooth.
Strain the strawberry puree to remove any remaining seeds, if desired.
Next, squeeze the lemon juice from about nine medium lemons. You’ll need 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice. To make this step easier, I love using my citrus juice press. Simply cut washed lemons in half and place one half in the citrus squeezer.
Place the juice press on a flat surface and press to squeeze out the juice. Then, pour the lemon juice into a cup via the little spout and discard the rind, pulp, and seeds.
Pour the strawberry puree, 4 cups of water, 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice, and 1 cup of granulated sugar into a large pitcher and stir to combine.
Freckled Lemonade Shortcut Version
Red Robin Freckled Lemonade is made with Minute Maid lemonade and strawberries! If you don’t feel like making homemade strawberry lemonade, you can make this shortcut version.
- Make the strawberry puree in the blender as directed in the recipe.
- Combine it with six cups of prepared Minute Maid lemonade (or use your favorite brand).
Serve the strawberry lemonade with strawberries, lemon slices, and ice cubes. Put the ice cubes and garnishes in small bowls on a tray with little tongs to that guests can serve themselves.
Make Without A Blender
Wondering how to make strawberry lemonade without a blender? You have a few options. First, you can use another kitchen tool, such as a food processor, or you can make strawberry sauce on the stovetop.
Food Processor: Put the strawberries, sugar, want water into a food processor and process until smooth.
Stovetop: Dice the strawberries and put them into a pot with 2 cups of water and 1/3 cup of sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down and simmer until the strawberries are softened. Stir the mixture often with a wooden spoon and use the spoon to mash the strawberries. Remove from heat and pour the mixture through a strainer using the spoon to mash it even more. Then, allow it to cool before adding it to the lemonade.
Frequently Asked Questions
Strawberry lemonade is not a juice because it is mixed with water and sugar, unlike orange juice which can be enjoyed freshly squeezed.
The history of pink lemonade has roots going back to the circus! One legend involves red-colored cinnamon candy being accidentally dropped into a vat of original lemonade. Another story has to do with dirty water with a pink tint from a pair of pink-colored circus performers’ tights.
No, pink lemonade is not the same as strawberry lemonade. Pink lemonade is traditional lemonade that has a pink tint from food coloring or fruit. On the other hand, strawberry lemonade is traditional lemonade with the addition of strawberries.
You can garnish the cups of strawberry lemonade by placing a strawberry and lemon slice on the rim of the cup. Or put the sliced fruit into the cup with the juice and ice cubes.
More Drink Recipes To Enjoy
- This southern Sweet Tea Recipe is refreshing and smooth, and it’s easy to make!
- This easy Orange Julius recipe is a copycat that everyone will love.
- Make these Sherbet Punch Recipes for any party or holiday dinner!
- Passion Tea Lemonade is a refreshing and delicious Starbucks copycat drink.
- 10 medium strawberries
- 1 ⅓ cups granulated sugar divided
- 6 cups water divided
- 1 ½ cups freshly squeezed lemon juice about 9 medium lemons
- Rinse and hull the strawberries.
- Put the strawberries, ⅓ cup of sugar, and 2 cups of water in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Strain the mixture to remove the seeds, if desired.
- Squeeze the juice from lemons until you have about 1 ½ cups of lemon juice.
- Stir together the strawberry puree, 4 cups of water, 1 cup of granulated sugar, and 1 ½ cups of lemon juice.
- Store in the refrigerator. Serve over ice with an optional garnish of strawberry and lemon slices.