This easy Strawberry Sauce recipe can be made with fresh or frozen strawberries. Pour over pancakes, waffles, or ice cream.
Oh, those summer strawberries…aren’t they delicious? I remember going strawberry picking when I was a kid and it was so much fun! One of the things that I like making with strawberries is strawberry sauce.
It can be poured over on desserts like ice cream, cheesecake, and shortcake and for breakfast on pancakes, waffles, and French toast. I will be sharing a recipe for strawberry cheesecake soon that uses strawberry sauce as one of the ingredients so be sure to check back for that!
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
How To Make Strawberry Sauce:
Step One: Soften and Mash The Strawberries
Cook over medium heat until the strawberries start to break down, stirring often. Use a wooden spoon to mash up the strawberries even more.
Step Two: Thicken
Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
Step Three: Pour and Serve
Pour the strawberry sauce into a small pitcher.
Pour the deliciously sweet, summer strawberry sauce over whatever fits your fancy.
Strawberry Sauce FAQs
1. Can I freeze the sauce? Although I have never made enough that I had extras to freeze, you should be able to freeze this blueberry sauce. Let it cool completely and divide it into airtight containers. Store in the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator, as needed.
2. What can I use this sauce on? Some options would be to try it on a fruit and yogurt parfait, waffles, crepes or cake.
3. Can I use frozen strawberries? Yes, they will just take a little longer to break down.
4. Can I skip the cornstarch? You can, but the sauce will not be as thick.
Want More Strawberry Recipes? Try These Next:
This fluffy Strawberry Jello Salad recipe is perfect for every occasion from summer barbeques and holiday dinners! It is a dessert salad that everyone loves.
This Strawberry Cheesecake Dessert recipe is creamy and smooth with strawberry pie filling and whipped cream. It’s been part of our family for generations!
Strawberry Pecan Pretzel Salad is one of the MOST POPULAR recipes. It’s cool and creamy with caramelized brown sugar pretzels and diced strawberries. There won’t be any leftovers of this dessert salad!
The Fresh Strawberry Pie recipe of my dreams with bite-sized pieces of strawberries with sweet strawberry sauce in a tender cookie crust topped with whipped cream.
Strawberry and Goat Cheese Bruschetta by Homeade Hooplah has sweet strawberries, tart balsamic, flavorful basil, and tangy goat cheese, all on a comforting baguette.
Strawberry Sauce RecipePrint Pin Rate
- Cook strawberries, sugar, 1/4 cup water, and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat for 12-15 minutes until the strawberries start to break down, stirring often.
- Use a wooden spoon to mash up the strawberries even more.
- Mix together cold water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the sauce, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
- Optional: I like my sauce with strawberry bits, but you can puree it for a smoother sauce.