This Easy Fudge Recipe is smooth, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth delicious! It is so easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time!
Every year my mom made fudge during the holidays and we looked forward to it every year. This recipe is adapted from the recipe that she passed down to me.
In This Post: Everything You Need To Make Fudge
This easy fudge recipe only needs a handful of ingredients that might already be stocked in your kitchen! Keep these things on hand and you can whip up a pan of fantasy fudge whenever you please.
- Sugar: This easy fudge recipe is sweetened with granulated sugar.
- Milk: Make sure you use evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed milk) in this recipe.
- Butter: We used salted butter for the added flavor, so if you choose to use unsalted butter, you’ll need to add a little salt to the fudge.
- Chocolate Chips: We used a combination of semi-sweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips for the perfect flavor and texture. You can also use other baking chips, such as dark chocolate or white chocolate, depending on your preferences.
- Marshmallow Cream: This recipe is our version of the fantasy fudge recipe and it includes a jar of marshmallow cream which gives it that smooth, creamy texture.
- Flavoring: We added a whole tablespoon of vanilla extract for a delicious flavor boost.
How To Make This Easy Fudge Recipe
Since this fudge recipe is so quick to make, it’s a great treat to prepare when you are short on time. Fudge also makes a wonderful gift! Buy some pretty containers, line them with pieces of parchment paper or wax paper, and fill them with pieces of fudge.
- Boil: First, combine the butter, evaporated milk, and sugar in a large, heavy-bottom pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir: Then, remove the pot from the heat and add the marshmallow cream, chocolate chips, and vanilla extract.
- Spread: Spread the mixture in a foil-lined, greased pan and cool at room temperature.
When it comes to making different variations, the sky is the limit! There are so many things you can stir into or sprinkle on top of this fudge! The most important thing to remember is that the fudge will start to set and harden quickly, so you’ll need to have any additional ingredients prepped and ready to go.
Fudge Recipe with Nuts
The most popular addition to fudge is nuts! You can add any nuts your family likes, such as toasted pecans, chopped walnuts, peanuts, or chopped cashews. Stir them in immediately after melting the chocolate chips and marshmallow cream into the hot sugary syrup and right before spreading the fudge mixture into the pan.
You can also stir other sweet or salty ingredients. Try adding mini marshmallows, chopped Oreos, crushed candy canes, or peanut butter chips.
Fudge Recipe Toppings
As far as toppings go, you can sprinkle on crushed peppermint candies, cookie crumbles, chopped nuts, or sprinkles. Add any toppings immediately after spreading the fudge in the pan before it has a chance to set.
How To Store Fudge
Allow the fudge to cool completely and harden. You can place it in the refrigerator to harden, once it has cooled, if your house is warm or you want to speed up the process. Use the foil to lift it out of the pan and cut the fudge into squares. Store the fudge in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks, in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks, or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Crumbly or dry fudge is from overcooking the sugar. It probably still tastes great so do a taste test and then serve it anyway. Or use it
It will last in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks, in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks, or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Soft fudge is from undercooking the sugar mixture. You can store your soft fudge in the refrigerator and remove it right before serving so that it stays firm. Or reheat it and serve it over ice cream.
Want more chocolate recipes? Try these next:
- These Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups are adorable little mugs of hot chocolate that and so fun to eat!
- Chocolate Fondue is a decadent treat and is easy to make! Serve it with bite-sized dippables.
- Irresistible homemade Chocolate Truffles are totally customizable and great for gifting!
- These triple Chocolate Cookies are soft and chewy with enough chocolate to satisfy those chocolate cravings.
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil that hangs off the sides. Grease the pan and set aside.
- Put the granulated sugar, evaporated milk, and butter in a large, heavy pot and bring it to a boil over medium heat stirring often. Boil for 5-6 minutes stirring often.
- Remove from heat and add the semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared pan. Allow it to cool* and become firm before cutting into squares.