With only THREE ingredients, Rolo Pretzel Turtles are so easy to make! They can be made as a quick treat or given as gifts during the holidays.
You can satisfy your sweet tooth in a hurry with Pretzel Turtles! There are only 3 ingredients, pretzels, caramel filled chocolates aka Rolos and nuts!
Start by prepping the pan by covering it with parchment paper and lining up the pretzels.
What kind of pretzels should I use?
I love using square checkboard pretzels that are called snaps. They have smaller holes and hold the melted chocolate really well. They are widely available at grocery stores in Minnesota but you can also purchase them here on Amazon.
That being said you can use any of the pretzel shapes available at your grocery store from mini twists to holiday shapes.
Unwrap all of the Rolos and put one on top of each pretzel.
Do I have to use Rolos?
I like using Rolos when making the pretzel turtles but you could use any brand of caramel-filled chocolates. You could try using Milky Way, Dove Promises with Caramel, Milk Duds, or Hershey’s Kisses filled with Caramel.
Keep in mind that the baking time will vary depending on the candy bar so start with a very short time and continue heating as necessary.
Bake at 300˚F for 3-5 minutes, until the chocolates are soft, but not melted.
Rolos have thicker chocolate than something like Dove Promises with Caramel so they will take closer to 5 minutes to soften.
Press one pecan into each softened Rolo. Allow the chocolate to cool and harden before removing them from the baking sheet.
What kind of nuts should I use?
My favorite nuts for making these Rolo pretzel turtles are pecans and walnuts. Other kinds of nuts such as hazelnuts, cashews, and almonds would work too. You could also do a variety so that people could choose their favorites!
Rolo Pretzel Turtles Recipe FAQs
1. How can I make pretzel turtles in the microwave? You can do a few of these at a time in the microwave. Depending on your microwave, it takes about 20-30 seconds to soften the Rolos.
2. Should I toast the nuts first? They are delicious with toasted nuts! Need to know how? You can find my recipe here: How To Toast Pecans.
3. Wondering how to store Rolo Pretzel Turtles? Simply store them in an airtight container once they completely cooled.
4. How can I add a festive touch? An easy way to add a little color to these turtles is to drizzle them with candy melts. If making these during the holidays, use red and green candy melts.
5. Do you have a nut-free option? You can make Rolo pretzels without nuts by pressing M&M’s (or another holiday candy) into the softened chocolate instead.
Want More Pretzel Candy Recipes? We’ve Got You Covered
Candy Bar Pretzel Bites: Candy Bar Pretzel Bites are easy to make with mini candy bars sandwiched between pretzels. They’re perfect for cookie exchanges or in a mason jar as a gift!
Peanut Butter Cup Pretzels: These Peanut Butter Cup Pretzels have mini peanut butter cups melted between two Christmas pretzels and they are drizzled with red, green and white candy melts! They would look really cute wrapped in cellophane and tied with a ribbon, as a gift from the kitchen.
Red, White, and Blue Pretzel Bites: Red White and Blue Pretzel Bites are easy to make with mini candy bars sandwiched between pretzels. A fun patriotic dessert for Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day!
Crispy Peanut Butter Bites: If you don’t have time to sit and dip truffles, try making these Crispy Peanut Butter Bites instead. The peanut butter truffle mixture is sandwiched between two pretzels and then one half is dipped in almond bark.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line the pretzels up on a baking sheet that is covered with parchment paper.
- Place one Rolo on each pretzel.
- Bake at 300˚F for 3-5 minutes, until the chocolates are soft, but not melted. (Rolos have thicker chocolate than something like Dove Promises with Caramel so they will take closer to 5 minutes to soften.)
- Press one pecan half into each chocolate.
- Allow the pretzel turtles to cool and harden before removing from the baking sheet.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 24 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Saturated Fat: 2gSodium: 44mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g