This Root Beer Float Puppy Chow Recipe is also referred to as a Muddy Buddies Recipe. Whatever you prefer to call them, they are delicious!
I am busily getting ready to go road tripping with one of my best friends and all of our kids, except my teen who gets to stay home with Brian and work. I do feel bad leaving them behind but not bad enough to stay home. Are we crazy to be going? I certainly hope not! Everyone is so excited and I pray that everything goes well. We will be seeing some of the sights that America has to offer and some of the “tourist traps” along the way! We will be going to church and visiting some of our good friends. I plan to take a million pictures and make memories to last a lifetime!
Every road time must include snacks and an easy snack to bring is puppy chow! What does your call it in your family? Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies? We’ve always called it puppy chow and made it with peanut butter and chocolate. I noticed that the box of Chex Mix calls the recipe Muddy Buddies. Anyway, since it is summer and root beer floats just might be the official summer drink, I am sharing a Root Beer Float Puppy Chow Recipe!
Puppy chow is easy to make and Chex cereal even has the muddy buddies recipe on the box. I made a few changes to the recipe. I also made Orange Creamsicle Puppy Chow and I only had one box of Rice Chex so I use 4 1/2 cups of Rice Chex for each flavor. I use the same amount of chocolate coating and substituted root beer flavored oil for the vanilla. I will share the recipe for Orange Creamsicle Puppy Chow soon!
- Measure Rice Chex into a large bowl and set aside.
- Put white chocolate chips and shortening into a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute, stir and then micowave for 30 seconds longer.
- Add root beer flavored oil and stir well.
- Pour mixture over the Rice Chex and gently stir to coat.
- Put chocolate coated Rice Chex into a gallon sized ziptop plastic bag.
- Add the powdered sugar, zip the top of the bag shut and shake until the cereal is coated.
- Spread on a piece of waxed paper to cool.
Wish me luck on my road trip! If you have an suggestions, that don’t involve electronics, for keeping big kids entertained in the car, I would love to hear them!