This Slow Cooker White Chili with Chicken with chicken and white beans is super easy to make in a crockpot and is the perfect family dinner for busy weekdays.
Things have once again gotten really busy! When things get busy, family life still goes on.
Everyone needs clean clothes, dishes need to be washed and everyone needs to eat. So, I pulled out my Crock Pot and made White Chili with Chicken! It cooked all day yesterday while I worked.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
Meet my vintage Crock Pot. I believe we received this as a wedding gift 19 years ago and it still works great.
I was going to use my red Crock Pot that you’ve seen in many of my slow cooker blog posts, but when I pulled it out I noticed that there was a crack along the bottom of the stoneware piece. So, out came the trusty green Crock Pot!
How To Make Slow Cooker White Chili With Chicken
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan.
Add minced garlic, dried chopped onion, diced green chilies, cumin, chili powder, oregano, pepper, and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes.
Stir in flour and cook for a couple of minutes while stirring. The mixture will clump together.
Stir in chicken broth until the flour mixture has dissolved and then stir in the milk.
Put thawed, boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker, top with a can of drained super sweet white corn, and 2 cans of drained and rinsed great northern beans.
Pour the broth over all of it and cook the slow cooker white chili chicken on high for 6-8 hours. After about 5 hours, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and return to the Crock Pot to finish cooking.
To go along with the white chili, I made some of this Cinnamon Sugar Cornbread.
I topped the slow cooker white chili with chicken with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro. I put the leftovers into small containers in the freezer so that I can warm it up for lunch!
Slow Cooker White Chili with Chicken FAQs
1. What size crockpot should I use? My vintage crockpot that I used in this blog post is the 5-quart size.
2. How can I turn this into a freezer meal? Although I’ve never made freezer meals, the standard directions would be to combine all of the ingredients for this chili in an airtight container (often a gallon sized ziplock bag) and store in the freezer. Remove the container from the freezer to thaw for 12-24 hours before cooking in the slow cooker.
3. Do I have to drain and rinse the bean? I always drain and rinse canned beans. The liquid in the can often contains additional starch and salt which rinsing will help remove. It can change the color, texture and nutrition of the dish. That being said I’ve seen other chili recipes that don’t require rinsing so it is up to you.
4. What other toppings do you suggest? Try stirring in a cup of sour cream before serving. This slow cooker white chili with chicken would be delicious topped with diced avocados, sliced green onions, sliced green peppers, diced tomatoes, tortilla strips, or Fritos.
What other slow cooker recipes for soup do you suggest?
Slow Cooker Taco Soup by The Gunny Sack: This Slow Cooker Taco Soup recipe is so easy to make and so flavorful. Just brown the meat, put everything in the crockpot to cook, and then just stir!
Crockpot Lasagna Soup by Spend With Pennies: CrockPot Lasagna Soup is the perfect weeknight dinner! In this easy recipe, the slow cooker does all of the work to bring the goodness of lasagna and the comfort of soup together into one amazing meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup by The Gunny Sack: This crockpot recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup is hearty dinner idea for chilly nights. Serve with puff pastry breadsticks instead of pie crust!
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup by Well Plated: Calling all Panera broccoli cheese soup lovers! Here’s a healthy recipe for an easy Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup that takes less than 10 minutes to prep.
Slow Cooker Corn Chowder by The Gunny Sack: Slow Cooker Corn Chowder Recipe is a comforting combination of corn, potatoes, and ham. This easy crock pot recipe is perfect for a family dinner!
Slow Cooker White Chili With Chicken
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp dried chopped onion
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 31.6 oz great northern beans, drained and rinsed (two 15.8 oz cans)
- 11 oz can of super sweet white corn drained
- Optional toppings: shredded Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add minced garlic, dried chopped onion, diced green chilies, cumin, chili powder, oregano, pepper and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for a couple of minutes while stirring. The mixture will clump together.
- Stir in chicken broth until the flour mixture has dissolved.
- Stir in the milk.
- Put boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top with corn and great northern beans.
- Pour the broth over all of it and cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours. After about 4 hours, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and return to the Crock Pot.
- Optional: top bowls of chili with shredded cheese and cilantro