Who can resist creamy Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows on top? It’s like having dessert as a side dish at the Thanksgiving dinner!
When I was a kid I couldn’t understand why the grown-ups liked sweet potatoes with marshmallows at our Thanksgiving dinner. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I decided to try them and now they are one of my must-have side dishes!
Ingredients Need For Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
The ingredients need to make sweet potatoes with marshmallows look a lot like you are making a dessert. Shhhhhh…I won’t tell if you don’t! Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Sweet Potatoes: You’ll need four cups of diced sweet potatoes. Grocery stores often sell them already peeled and diced. Or you can buy the whole potatoes and prep them yourself. Some stores even sell mashed sweet potatoes during the holidays and they would work well in this recipe.
- Sugar: We used granualted sugar as the sweetener. Brown sugar would taste great too but keep in mind that it will change the color the casserole.
- Milk: The whole milk helps make the sweet potatoes smooth and creamy.
- Butter: Melted butter is added for the fat and the flavor.
- Eggs: The eggs add moisture, provide structure and add to the creaminess.
- Vanilla: We added one teaspoon of vanilla extract to give the dish more flavor.
- Seasoning: This recipes uses ground cinnamon, salt, ground nutmeg, and ground ginger to season the sweet potato casserole.
How To Make Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
There are three easy steps to make sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. Cook the sweet potatoes, add the casserole ingredients, and bake! Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Sweet Potatoes: Peel and cube your sweet potatoes if you didn’t buy them already prepped. Put the cubes in a microwave safe bowl and cover them with cold water. Cook them in the microwave on high until tender. This step could also be done on the stovetop.
- Casserole: After draining the water from the cooked potatoes, add the granulated sugar, milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, ground cinnamon, salt, ground nutmeg, and ground ginger. Mix until smooth and combined. Pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Cook: Bake the sweet potatoes at 350˚F for 30-35 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and top the casserole with marshmallows. Place under the broilder for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown.
Sweet Potatos with Marshmallows Frequently Asked Questions
You can use both big and small marshmallows. It simply depends on how much marshmallow topping you want and what you have on hand.
Yes, you can prepare it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Place it on the counter while preheating the oven. Then, bake as directed.
The eggs provide structure and help bind the mashed sweet potatoes together. They also act as a leavener and add flavor.
Want more casserole recipes? Try these next:
Our tasty Broccoli Casserole recipe has fork-tender broccoli in a creamy, cheesy sauce and is topped with buttery cracker crumbs.
Green Bean Casserole is a popular side dish at every holiday meal! The beans are coated in a creamy sauce topped with French fried onions.
This Corn Casserole recipe, aka corn pudding, is a traditional Thanksgiving side dish. It’s a creamier, cheesier version of cornbread!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Casserole is the ultimate comfort food and the best side dish for holiday parties and potlucks. Topped with French fried onions for more flavor!
This classic, easy-to-make Sweet Potato Casserole is as delicious as a dessert with a brown sugar and pecan crumb topping. A MUST MAKE for Thanksgiving!