This classic Banana Cream Pie recipe has sliced bananas covered in a creamy homemade pudding in a cookie crust and topped with whipped cream.
People have some pretty strong feelings about their pies and when asked about favorites the results can vary drastically. That is why there is such a large variety of pies for dessert at a Thanksgiving dinner! This banana cream pie recipe is easy to make but fantastic enough for a holiday dinner.
Banana Cream Pie Recipe Ingredients
The ingredients in this banana cream pie recipe are similar to what is needed to make homemade pudding with the addition of a crust and topping. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
Nilla Wafer Crust Ingredients
We used a cookie crust for this banana cream pie recipe but you can use homemade pie crust if you prefer.
- Cookie Crumbs: We chose Nilla Wafers for the cookies because they go well with the banana filling. Other options include shortbread cookies, graham crackers, or peanut butter cookies such as Nutter Butters.
- Sugar: The granulated sugar add sweetness and provides structure to the crust.
- Butter: This recipe uses melted butter to combine the cookie crumbs and sugar. It also adds to the flavor.
Banana Cream Pie Ingredients
- Sugar: We used granulated sugar for the sweetener in this recipe. You could substitute some of the granulated sugar with brown sugar, if you prefer.
- Cornstarch: For the thickener, we prefer using cornstarch but all-purpose flour can be used to make puddings as well.
- Salt: A little salt helps bring out the flavor.
- Milk: We suggest using whole milk for the best flavor and texture. You can use a lighter milk but the results may vary.
- Egg Yolks: The egg yolks help thicken the pudding and give it that rich velvety texture.
- Butter: The butter adds flavor and make the pie filling smooth.
- Vanilla: A little vanilla adds a lot of flavor. For the best results choose a pure vanilla extract.
- Bananas: You’ll need 3-4 bananas to make this pie. We sliced three bananas for inside the pie and used the fourth as a garnish on top.
- Whipped Cream: The sweetened whipped cream is spread over the top of the pie and makes it even better.
How To Make Banana Cream Pie
This banana cream pie recipe is easy to make. You just need to be sure to stir it constantly while it is cooking for the smoothest filling. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Crust: Mix together the cookie crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter. Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake the cookie crust at 350˚F for 5-7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Pudding: The sugar, cornstarch and salt are whisked together to help disperse the cornstarch to prevent clumping. After combining the milk and egg yolks, you’ll slowly whisk the mixture into the dry ingredients. Then, cook the pudding until thickened, stirring constantly, scraping the bottom and sides to prevent clumps. Remove the banana cream pie filling from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract. Chill on a bowl of ice water or in the refrigerator.
- Bananas: Slice the bananas into the pie crust and top with the cooled pie filling. Chill in the refrigerator
- Garnish: Top with whipped cream and garnish with cookie crumbs and banana slices, if desired.
Banana Cream Pie Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
If your pie is runny, either you didn’t measure the thickener correctly (cornstarch in this recipe), it wasn’t cooked long enough to thicken, or it wasn’t cooled properly.
You can lightly coat the banana slices with citrus juice such as lemon, lime, or orange juice.
Yes, banana cream pie needs to be stored in the refrigerator.
Want more pie recipes? Try these next:
This Chess Pie recipe has a sweet custard filling that is golden brown on the top and dusted with powdered sugar. Perfect for Thanksgiving.
Decadent Chocolate Pie is a classic! This recipe has a rich, creamy chocolate filling topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
A homemade Pumpkin Pie is a must at every holiday dinner from Thanksgiving to Christmas! Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
This recipe for Dutch Apple Pie is so easy to make! Instead of having a double crust like a traditional apple pie this recipe has a fabulous crumble on top.
Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 ⅔ cups Nilla Wafer Cookie crumbs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoon butter melted
Banana Cream Pie Filling
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium bananas
- 3 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Reserve one tablespoon of cookie crumbs for garnish, if desired. Combine the remaining cookie crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter in a small bowl. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake the crust at 350˚F for 5-7 minutes. Cool completely.
Banana Cream Pie Filling
- Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and egg yolks. Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the sugar mixture in the saucepan.
- Cook medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add the butter and vanilla extract. Stir until combined. Cool the pudding by placing the pot in a bowl of ice water or in the refrigerator.
- Slice three bananas into the cooled pie crust.
- Top with the cooled banana cream pie filling. Chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours or until firm.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with banana slices and cookie crumbs.
Leave a Reply