Start the day with a Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with sausage, eggs, cheese, and tater tots all in one easy dish.
Preparing a full breakfast for overnight guests during the holidays can be a bit tricky because there are so many dishes to complete at the same time. That is where a breakfast casserole can really shine! This tater tot breakfast casserole has everything you want in one dish and it can be prepped the night before.
Cut the crusts off of the bread and cut or tear it into small pieces. Spread the bread pieces in a greased 9×13″ casserole dish.
Beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together.
Pour over the bread pieces in the dish and place in the refrigerator.
Brown the ground pork sausage and drain the excess grease.
Remove the dish from the refrigerator. Top with the cooked sausage and 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Arrange the tater tot rounds over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Can I prepare this tater tot breakfast casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare this tater tot breakfast casserole ahead of time. After adding the cooked sausage and shredded cheddar cheese, cover the casserole dish and place in the refrigerator overnight. Remove it in the morning and continue with adding the tater tots before baking.
What else can I add to this tater tot breakfast casserole recipe?
There are so many varieties you can make of this tater tot breakfast casserole! That is one of the great things about it. Switch out the meat or the cheese and you’ll give it a whole new flavor. Here are some ideas to try:
- Bacon & Cheddar
- Ham & Swiss
- Spinach & Mushroom
Bake at 375˚F for 45-50 minutes, until the tater tot crowns are golden brown.
Want more breakfast recipes? Try these next:
This Pancake Recipe with Bisquick makes light and airy pancakes that melt-in-your-mouth. It’s easy to whip up for a delicious breakfast any day of the week!
This delicious recipe for Breakfast Pizza with a Hash Brown Crust can be made for breakfast or as an easy dinner. It is topped with bacon, ham, and cheese.
Learning how to make scrambled eggs is a basic cooking skill! These fluffy, creamy scrambled eggs are perfect for breakfast or dinner.
This Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza has a light, flaky crust topped with cheese sauce, scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, and bacon!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 4 slices white bread
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 4 cups tater tot crowns
- Cut the crust off of the bread and then cut or tear it into small pieces. Spread in a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
- Beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over the bread pieces. Place the casserole dish in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven 375˚F.
- Brown the ground breakfast sausage and discard the excess grease.
- Remove the casserole dish from the refrigerator and sprinkle with the cooked sausage and 1 ½ cups of shredded cheese.
- Top with the tater tot crowns and sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 375˚F for 45-50 minutes, until the tater tots are golden brown.