Turtle Cookies are Ritz crackers filled with creamy caramel, coated in chocolate and topped with chopped pecans!
Turtle Ritz Cookies are a caramel spin on the traditional peanut butter Ritz cookies which are one of our family favorites. Since we love them so much, I figured there had to be other things that would taste delicious stuffed between two Ritz crackers and decided to try caramel.
Traditional Peanut Butter Ritz Cookies
First I wanted to share the recipe for our favorite peanut butter Ritz cookies. We make them throughout the year but they are a must during the holidays.
- 20 Ritz crackers
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 squares chocolate almond bark
Spread about 1 teaspoon of creamy peanut butter on 10 Ritz crackers. Top with another cracker, sandwiching the peanut butter between the two.
Melt the chocolate almond bark in the microwave according to the instructions on the package. Dip the sandwich cookies in the melted chocolate and place on a silicone mat or parchment paper to set and harden.
Turtle Ritz Cookies Recipe Testing
I thought these Turtle Cookies were going to be a quick and easy recipe success. The first time I made them, I used dulce de leche from a can. They were easy to make, they tasted delicious and the pictures turned out great.
But the next morning when I saw the cookies, the chocolate coating had cracked on all of them! So, I tried again and again until I thought about moving on from this recipe idea, but decided I was going to find a way to make it work…no.matter.what
And I succeeded, so today I am finally sharing my recipe for Turtle Sandwich Cookies using Ritz crackers.
Step-by-Step Turtle Cookies Instructions
To make about 1/4 cup of caramel sauce, use 12 caramels (I used Kraft Caramels) and 2 teaspoons of whipping cream. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir.
Microwave for an additional 15 seconds and stir. Continue heating and stirring at 15-second intervals until smooth. Watch carefully so that the caramel sauce doesn’t boil over or burn.
Before putting the caramel sauce on the crackers, you need to cool and thicken. So, allow the sauce to cool at room temperature for about 8-10 minutes, stirring often to keep it smooth.
Plop about 1 teaspoon of the caramel in the center of a Ritz cracker. This made enough for me to make 11 turtle sandwich cookies.
Top it with another cracker and squish the caramel so that it spreads out. Place the caramel sandwiches in the fridge for an hour for the caramel to harden.
Melt chocolate almond bark or chocolate candy coating in the microwave and dip the sandwich cookies in the chocolate.
Place them on a silicone mat or a piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
You might get a little bit of beautiful, delicious, oozing caramel on some of the sandwiches!
Another option is to top each turtle cookie with a pecan half.
If you like sweet and salty treats, go ahead and sprinkle a little sea salt on the caramel before adding the top cracker, or you could even sprinkle it on when adding the chopped pecans.
Want More Turtle Recipes? Try One Of These Next:
Easy Pretzel Turtles: With only THREE ingredients, Pretzel Turtles are so easy to make! They can be made as a quick treat or given as gifts during the holidays.
Slow Cooker Chocolate Turtle Bread Pudding: Slow Cooker Chocolate Turtle Bread Pudding is a warm, comforting dessert with chocolate, caramel, and pecans. It’s a crockpot recipe that everyone will love!
Easy Turtle Cheesecake: Easy turtle cheesecake recipe made from a ready-made cheesecake. Top it with chocolate, caramel, pecans, and whipped cream.
Turtle Cookies - Caramel Filled RitzPrint Pin Rate
- Place caramels and whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. Microwave for an additional 15 seconds and stir. Continue heating and stirring at 15-second intervals until smooth. Watch carefully so that the caramel sauce doesn’t boil over or burn.
- Allow the sauce to cool and thicken, at room temperature, for about 8-10 minutes, stirring often to keep it smooth.
- Plop about 1 teaspoon of the caramel in the center of 11 Ritz crackers.
- Top each with another cracker and squish the caramel so that it spreads out.
- Place the caramel sandwiches in the fridge for an hour for the caramel to harden.
- Melt chocolate almond bark in the microwave and dip the sandwich cookies in the chocolate.
- Place them on a silicone mat or a piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Allow the chocolate to set and harden at room temperature.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
- Optional: Use whole pecans instead of chopped pecans. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.