Deep-fried Apple Fritter Bites are small bite-sized cake donuts dotted with bits of apple and frosted with a powdered sugar glaze.
When it is apple season we love putting apples in everything from cakes to cobblers and of course they need to be in donuts!
Apple Fritter Bites Ingredients
Make these mini doughnuts using a simple batter with apple spices, apple cider, and diced apples for triple the apple flavor! Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Diced Apples: We used Granny Smith apples in these fritters because they are crisp and tart. You can substitue another kind of apple but choose ones that won’t turn mushy with cooked.
- Flour: An all purpose flour works well for making apple fritter bites. If you want to use self-rising flour, omit the baking powder and salt called for in this recipe.
- Sugar: The granulated sugar adds a little sweetness to the fritters that compliment the tart apples. You can use brown sugar for more flavor, if you prefer.
- Baking Powder: We used baking powder for the leavener in this recipe. It takes the fritter from flat pancakes to puffy little bites.
- Spices/Seasonings: The flavor in these apple fritter bites comes from the ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt.
- Eggs: This recipe calls for two eggs which help bind the ingredients together and add volume and texture.
- Apple Cider: Rather than using water or milk we chose apple cider for the liquid to increase the apple flavor in these fritters.
- Butter: The melted butter adds flavor, moisture, and a little fat to these apple donut bites.
- Powdered Sugar Glaze: Every good apple fritter includes a sweet glaze. You can find my basic powdered sugar glaze recipe here.
How To Make Apple Fritter Bites
These Apple Fritter Bites are so easy to make and use ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen! They are the perfect choice for a simple apple dessert for fall. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Dry Ingredients: Start by combining the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Mixing the dry ingredients first helps disperse the leavener and spices throughout the flour.
- Wet Ingredients: Stir in the eggs, apple cider, and melted butter until combined. Avoid overstirring for the lightest fritters.
- Apples: Fold the diced apples into the batter until fully coated.
- Cooking: Deep fry the apple fritter bites until golden brown and cooked through.
- Frosting: Drizzle powdered sugar glazed over the apple fritters and enjoy.
Apple Fritter Bites Frequently Asked Questions
A fritter is a small portion of fried dough with or without anything inside it. Fritters can be sweet like apple fritters or savory like corn fritters.
Yes, an apple fritter is a type of doughnut but it is not formed in a circle like traditional doughnuts are.
Yes, apple fritter bites can be made ahead of time. Once they are cooled, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
Want more apple recipes? Try these next:
Apple Cider Doughnuts feature a crispy outside, a tender inside, and tons of apple flavor! These fried cake donuts are a fall favorite.
Warm, flaky, Caramel Apple Puffs are super easy to make and perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
With these Caramel Apple Recipes, you can make gourmet apples at home! Get the family involved and let everyone add their favorite toppings.
Easy Apple Crisp recipe with sweet, tender apples topped with a crunchy crumb topping. Serve the apple crisp while warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel!