This easy Parmesan Chicken recipe is ready in minutes! It’s crispy and flavorful on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside.
Parmesan chicken is one of my family’s favorites! It can be enjoyed on its own but it is also delicious with so many meals from pasta to salad.
Parmesan Chicken Ingredients
Parmesan chicken is basically made with breadcrumbs, parmesan, and seasonings! You can add or subtract the seasonings depending on what you have on hand. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Chicken Breasts: You only need one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts to make this recipe but you can easily increase the amounts if you need more servings.
- Breadcrumbs: We used two types of breadcrumbs in this recipe. Panko style breadcrumbs are larger in size and crispier and lighter. On the other hand, Italian breadcrumbs are smaller in size and have some seasonings already mixed in them. We love the combination of the two but you can choose to use only one style if you prefer.
- Parmesan Cheese: You’ll want to use freshly grated Parmesan cheese is the best results. You can grate it yourself or find it already grated in the deli section of your grocery store.
- Flour: You’ll need a little all purpose flour to lightly coat the chicken before dipping it in the eggs.
- Eggs: The eggs are whisked with a little water and is used to help the breading stick to the chicken.
- Seasonings: We used garlic powder, sea salt, coarse ground black pepper, and parsley.
- Oils: When cooking the chicken we used a combination butter and canola oil.
How To Make Parmesan Chicken
The two most important things to keep in mind when making parmesan chicken is that you want to use thin chicken breasts and the chicken is cooked over medium-low heat. Since the chicken is thin it doesn’t take long to cook and you want to keep the temperature low so that you keep a perfect golden crust! Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Breading: Start by making the breading mixture by combining the panko, Italian breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, and garlic powder in a wide, shallow bowl. Whisk together the eggs and water in a separate bowl and put the flour in a third bowl.
- Chicken: To get thin chicken cutlets, slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally. Place them between sheets of parchment paper and pound them until they are an even thickness. Coat the cutlets in the three-step breading and spinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cooking: Cook the chicken over medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
Parmesan Chicken Frequently Asked Questions
It is called parmesan chicken because the breading includes freshly grated parmesan.
Yes, you can make this parmesan chicken recipe in an air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 370˚F. Lightly spray the air fryer basket with olive oil and then add the breaded chicken (you may need to cook it in batches depending on the size of your air fryer). Spray the chicken with olive oil and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F, flipping the chicken over halfway through cooking.
We love having parmesan chicken with pasta such as homemade fettuccini alfredo and with salads.
Yes, you can bake this parmesan chicken in the oven. Place the breaded chicken breasts on a greased baking sheet and spray them with olive oil. Bake the chicken at 400˚F for 17-21 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F. You can flip the chicken over halfway through cooking if desired.
Want more chicken recipes? Try these next:
Sesame Chicken is a favorite take-out choice and you can make it at home in less than 30 minutes! Serve over rice or noodles.
Garlic Parmesan Chicken Tenders are oven-baked and so easy to make. Skip the fast food and make these for dinner instead!
Wondering how to cook chicken on the stove? This easy stovetop chicken recipe makes the chicken golden brown on the outside and juicy on the inside!
Chicken Tinga is spicy shredded chicken with chipotle chilies, adobo sauce, tomatoes, and onions. Perfect for tacos, burritos, and quesadillas.