Breakable Chocolate Gifts are like edible pinatas filled with candy and sprinkles. Perfect for Christmas treat bags with a mini mallet.
Last Valentine’s Day I made breakable chocolate hearts and since they were so much fun I decided to make breakable chocolate gifts as well! They are filled with candy and sprinkles. Put the gift, mallet, and candy in little cellophane bags with a tag!
Breakable Chocolate Gifts Ingredients and Tools
To make these breakable chocolate gifts, you need candy wafers and candy! You’ll also need a silicone mold for shaping the melted candy wafers and wooden mallets for breaking the gifts open. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Candy Wafers: For this recipe we used red, green, and white candy wafers or candy melts. You can choose any colors you want.
- Candy: You’ll need about one cup of red, green, and white candies and spinkles to fill the chocolate gifts. Choose candy that won’t shatter when the gift is smashed.
- Red Ribbons: We used red pull and peel licorice twists and red fruit by the foot to make the ribbons on the boxes.
- Tools: We used a rectangle shaped silicone mold to make the edible presents and small wooden mallets for smashing the presents open.
How To Make Breakable Chocolate Gifts
To make these edible presents, you need to melt the candy wafers, make the rectangles, fill them with candy, and add decorations. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Candy Wafers: Melt the candy wafers in the microwave at 50% power for one minutes and then stir. Continue warming them in the microwave at 50% power in 10 second intervals, stirring each time, until smooth.
- Silicone Mold: Drizzle the red and green candy wafers into the silicone mold. Top with the melted white candy wafers and tilt the mold to cover the bottom and sides. Use a spoon to fully coat the sides. Allow the candy coating to harden and then add a second layer of white for stability. Once the second layer has hardened, remove the rectangles from the mold.
- Hot Skillet: Warm a skillet over low heat and remove from heat. Rub the edges of the breakable chocolate gifts on the warm skillet to smooth the edges.
- Candy: Fill half of the rectangles with candy and sprinkles. Rub the edges of the empty halves on the warm skillet again and place them on top of the filled halves.
- Ribbon: Use licorice and fruit leather to create ribbons on the presents.
Breakable Chocolate Gifts Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use chocolate chips or chocolate baking bars to make these gifts. Follow the instructions on the package for melting the chocolate. You may need to add a teaspoon of shortening per 6 ounces of chocolate when melting it to make it thin enough to coat the silicone mold.
You can melt the candy wafers on the stovetop instead of the microwave by using the double boiler method. Bring 1-2 inches of water to a simmer in a small pot and remove from heat. Place the candy melts in a glass bowl over the pot of hot water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir the candy wafers until smooth.
I like to wear disposable gloves when handling the chocolate gifts to help prevent getting fingerprints in the shiny coating.
Put the breakable chocolate gifts in cellophane bags with additional candy, sprinkles, and a wooden mallet. I painted the handles with green craft paint to make them more festive. Use thin tinsel ribbon to close the top of the bag.
You can also add a label to the bags that give instructions to the recipient. Download the free printable labels here: Breakable Chocolate Gifts Labels
Want more candy recipes? Try these next:
Homemade Peanut Brittle is sweet and salty, crispy and crunchy. This classic Christmas treat is easy to make and better than store-bought!
This Toffee Recipe is a homemade version of Almond Roca. A buttery, crunchy treat with milk chocolate that’s perfect for the holidays!
These adorable Christmas Cones have a fun surprise inside! The Santa cones, Elf cones, and Gnome cones are filled with candy and sprinkles.
This microwave Caramel Candy recipe makes soft, melt-in-your-mouth caramels that everyone loves! Made with only 5 ingredients, they are a family tradition.