Here’s the smooth, creamy Cheese Dip recipe your chips and fries are begging for! It’s easy to make and better than store-bought.
Here’s What You Need To Know To Make Cheese Dip
Ingredients Needed and Substitutions
Here are the ingredients we used to make this recipe, as well as a few possible substitutions.
- Liquid: Whole milk thins the cheese and makes the melted cheese dippable. You can use lighter milk if you prefer.
- Cheese Powder: We added powdered cheddar cheese to increase the flavor and make this recipe taste more like the snack bar version. We used this cheddar cheese powder. You can also use the powder from a box of mac and cheese. Or you can skip the cheese powder for a lighter flavor.
- Butter: Salted butter adds flavor and helps thin the dip.
- Cheese: You’ll need a two-pound loaf of Velveeta to make this recipe. You could also use American cheese. Processed cheese melts nicely and makes the dip really smooth. You can substitute some of the cheese called for in the recipe with shredded cheddar cheese but it may not be as smooth in the end.
How To Make Cheese Dip
You can make this snackable cheese dip in minutes and have a warm appetizer everyone will love!
- Milk: Whisk together the milk and the powdered cheddar cheese in a pot.
- Cheese: Cut the Velveeta into pieces and add it to the pot along with the butter.
- Melt: Cook over medium-low heat, while stirring until the cheese is melted and heated through. You can add additional milk to thin the cheese dip even more if desired.
We love the recipe as is, but you can also use it as the base to make other dips, such as chili cheese, salsa con queso, and taco dip. Here is what you’ll need to add to make each of these variations:
Chili Cheese Dip
This is one of our favorite variations. To make chili cheese dip add a can of your favorite chili with or without beans.
Salsa Con Queso
Salsa con queso means “sauce with cheese” which we know as cheese sauce with salsa in it. To make salsa con queso, add one cup of your favorite salsa to the dip.
To make taco dip, stir in one cup of warm, cooked, and crumbled taco meat. Top the bowl with diced tomatoes, sliced olives, and cilantro.
Storage and Reheating
- Store: Allow the cheese dip to cool and transfer it to an airtight container. Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheat: Reheat in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Allow frozen dip to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Cheese Dip Recipe
It is made of processed cheese (Velveeta) or American cheese.
Yes, whisk the milk and the powdered cheddar cheese in a slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 1–2 hours, stirring occasionally. Turn the temperature to warm for serving.
- Our mouth-watering Nacho Cheese recipe is so good with tortilla chips, veggies, or nacho fries.
- This Queso Recipe is a restaurant favorite with melted cheeses, spicy peppers, and Mexican seasonings!
- Smoked Gouda Fondue is the best cheesy appetizer! Dip in all of your favorite savory foods.
- This Queso Blanco Recipe is so easy to make with Velveeta and diced peppers.
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoon powdered cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 2 lbs Velveeta
- Cut the Velveeta into cubes. Set aside.
- Pour the milk into a pot and whisk in the powdered cheddar cheese.
- Add the butter and cheese cubes.
- Melt over medium-low heat stirring often. Add additional milk to thin the cheese sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.