Chicken Noodle Casserole is comfort food at its best! A warm, creamy combination of noodles, soup, chicken, and vegetables perfect for family dinners.
Along with the cool fall nights, comes the need to gather family and friends around the table for a comforting family dinner. Growing up in Minnesota, this would’ve been called Chicken Noodle Hotdish instead of a casserole.
A hotdish is a casserole with a meat, starch, vegetables, and a cream soup. No matter what you call it this casserole it is sure to become a favorite!
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
Where is the Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe? In this post, I will share step-by-step instructions with photos for how to make the casserole, as well as answering FAQs about the recipe, giving suggestions for more chicken recipes and showing a video of the recipe. But you can go directly to the recipe by scrolling down to the bottom of the post.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Casserole
Start by making the cream sauce that is the base of the casserole. I used canned condensed cream of chicken soup because it is so convenient.
If you prefer using a homemade version that would work too. You can find my homemade cream of chicken soup recipe here.
I added sour cream, milk, chicken broth, minced onion, garlic powder, and black pepper to the cream of chicken soup.
Next, add the pasta, chicken, and veggies. One of my favorite shortcuts is using rotisserie chicken to make this casserole.
Another is to use bags of frozen veggies that quickly cook in the package in the microwave. You can also use canned veggies or fresh. But when you using fresh vegetables, you may want to precook the carrots to make sure they end up soft enough.
Once everything is mixed together, spread it all out in a 9×13 inch casserole dish. and bake at 375˚F for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly and hot.
If your family likes onions, you can add french fried onions to the top of the casserole when there are about 5 minutes left to cook and then return to the oven to finish cooking.
How To Freeze A Casserole
To freeze this chicken noodle casserole, put the mixture into a large freezer bag (instead of the pan as shown in step three) and place in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge for 24-36 hours before spreading in a 9×13 dish and baking.
Chicken Noodle Casserole FAQs
1. Can I replace the extra-wide egg noodles with other noodles? Yes! Choose three cups of your favorite noodles instead.
2. We’ve got picky eaters. Can this recipe be made without the vegetables? Yes, just skip them and follow the rest of the recipe.
3. How can I make gluten free chicken noodle casserole? Replace the items with gluten in the recipe with gluten free versions. Here is some gluten free pasta, gluten free condensed cream of chicken soup and gluten free chicken broth.
4. Can I make this ahead of time? Yes, follow the steps and stop after spreading it in the pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Place on the counter while the oven is preheating. Bake as usual. It may take 5-10 minutes longer to get hot so allow a little extra time.
Looking For More Chicken Recipes? We’ve Got You Covered!
One Pan Cheesy Chicken Noodles: This One Pan Cheesy Chicken Noodles recipe is an easy family dinner idea. It’s warm, it’s cheesy and it cooks in about 15 minutes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup: This crockpot recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup is hearty dinner idea for chilly nights. Serve with puff pastry breadsticks instead of pie crust!
Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie: Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie because admit it…pie crust is boring. The whole family will love this spin on the traditional chicken pot pie recipe.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 29 oz condensed cream of chicken (two 14.5 oz cans)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked extra wide egg noodles
- 3 cups cooked diced chicken
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (corn, peas, and carrots)
- Whisk together condensed cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, chicken broth, minced onion, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Add cooked extra-wide egg noodles, cooked chicken, and mixed vegetables. Gently stir until coated.
- Spread in a 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake at 375˚F for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly and hot.
I only have one can of cream of mushroom can you use one can of cream of mushroom to make a egg noodle chicken casserole
Since this recipe calls for 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, you would have to cut the rest of the recipe in half to make up for the missing can of soup. Also, the flavor would be quite different. You could add some chicken bouillon to add some chicken flavoring, though.
This was so delicious!!! Accidentally took out chicken thighs instead of chicken breast from my freezer. Added frozen carrots and peas also a little out of cheese. Yum!!! Thank you
Sylvia Johnston says
thank you….one of the creamiest nicest tuna hotdish ever!
Hi! Can I use plant based meat in your recipes?
I’ve never tried making my recipes with plant based meats.
Can you mix this all up and then freeze it for later?
Yes, you can freeze this for later but you may need to add more liquid than called for since the noodles will absorb some of the liquid.
Can you cook this in a pot on the stove ?
Must I cook the veggies first or put in frozen
Yes, I would suggest cooking the frozen vegetables first otherwise they may not soften enough while baking.
nancy Perdue says
recipe calls for 2 cans of cream chicken . Can I put one can of chicken and one can of cream of mushroom instead of the 2 cans of chicken?
Yes you could totally do that! Enjoy!
Tana brooks says
Can you leave out the sour cream??
Yes, you can leave out the sour cream but you’ll need to replace it with something else or the casserole will be too dry. You could mix in more milk…maybe 1/2 cup?