Chicken Noodle Casserole is comfort food at its best! A warm, creamy combination of noodles, soup, chicken, and vegetables perfect for family dinners.
Along with the cool fall nights, comes the need to gather family and friends around the table for a comforting family dinner. Growing up in Minnesota, this would’ve been called Chicken Noodle Hotdish instead of a casserole.
A hotdish is a casserole with a meat, starch, vegetables, and a cream soup. No matter what you call it this casserole it is sure to become a favorite!
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
Where is the Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe? In this post, I will share step-by-step instructions with photos for how to make the casserole, as well as answering FAQs about the recipe, giving suggestions for more chicken recipes and showing a video of the recipe. But you can go directly to the recipe by scrolling down to the bottom of the post.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Casserole
Start by making the cream sauce that is the base of the casserole. I used canned condensed cream of chicken soup because it is so convenient.
If you prefer using a homemade version that would work too. You can find my homemade cream of chicken soup recipe here.
I added sour cream, milk, chicken broth, minced onion, garlic powder, and black pepper to the cream of chicken soup.
Next, add the pasta, chicken, and veggies. One of my favorite shortcuts is using rotisserie chicken to make this casserole.
Another is to use bags of frozen veggies that quickly cook in the package in the microwave. You can also use canned veggies or fresh. But when you using fresh vegetables, you may want to precook the carrots to make sure they end up soft enough.
Once everything is mixed together, spread it all out in a 9×13 inch casserole dish. and bake at 375˚F for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly and hot.
If your family likes onions, you can add french fried onions to the top of the casserole when there are about 5 minutes left to cook and then return to the oven to finish cooking.
How To Freeze A Casserole
To freeze this chicken noodle casserole, put the mixture into a large freezer bag (instead of the pan as shown in step three) and place in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge for 24-36 hours before spreading in a 9×13 dish and baking.
Chicken Noodle Casserole FAQs
1. Can I replace the extra-wide egg noodles with other noodles? Yes! Choose three cups of your favorite noodles instead.
2. We’ve got picky eaters. Can this recipe be made without the vegetables? Yes, just skip them and follow the rest of the recipe.
3. How can I make gluten free chicken noodle casserole? Replace the items with gluten in the recipe with gluten free versions. Here is some gluten free pasta, gluten free condensed cream of chicken soup and gluten free chicken broth.
4. Can I make this ahead of time? Yes, follow the steps and stop after spreading it in the pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Place on the counter while the oven is preheating. Bake as usual. It may take 5-10 minutes longer to get hot so allow a little extra time.
Looking For More Chicken Recipes? We’ve Got You Covered!
One Pan Cheesy Chicken Noodles: This One Pan Cheesy Chicken Noodles recipe is an easy family dinner idea. It’s warm, it’s cheesy and it cooks in about 15 minutes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup: This crockpot recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup is hearty dinner idea for chilly nights. Serve with puff pastry breadsticks instead of pie crust!
Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie: Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie because admit it…pie crust is boring. The whole family will love this spin on the traditional chicken pot pie recipe.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Whisk together condensed cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, chicken broth, minced onion, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Add cooked extra-wide egg noodles, cooked chicken, and mixed vegetables. Gently stir until coated.
- Spread in a 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake at 375˚F for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly and hot.