Our Chipotle Ranch Dressing recipe is fantastic on salads and wraps as well as a perfect dip for chicken tenders and french fries.
Although we already have a delicious homemade ranch dressing recipe, we wanted to make a spicier version with even more flavor. So we came up with this chipotle ranch dressing and now my family wants it for everything!
What You’ll Find In This Post
Chipotle Ranch Dressing Ingredients
To make homemade chipotle ranch dressing, you’ll need mayonnaise, sour cream, and milk for the base. Plus, adobo sauce, dried herbs, and spices that you probably already have on hand. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Mayonnaise: The main ingredient in this dressing is mayonnaise which adds flavor and creaminess.
- Sour Cream: We also added sour cream for thickness and a bit of tanginess.
- Milk: The milk helps to thin the dressing to that it is pourable. You can add less milk for thicker dressing and more for a thinner dressing.
- Lime Juice: We combined the lime juice and milk to make buttermilk. You could substitute an equal amount of vinegar or lemon juice if you prefer.
- Adobo Sauce: The adobo sauce comes from a can of chipotle peppers. It adds a distinctive smoky flavor and some heat.
- Herbs: We added dried chives, dried oregano, and dried dill weed. You can substitute the dried herbs with fresh ones if you prefer but you will need two to three times as much fresh as dried.
- Spices: For spices, we used cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, coarse ground black pepper, and salt.
How To Make Chipotle Ranch Dressing
This dressing recipe is so easy to make and so much better than store-bought! Just make the buttermilk, whisk everything together, and refrigerate to thicken. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Prep: Mix together the milk and lime juice to make buttermilk. You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar if you prefer.
- Whisk: Add the buttermilk to the remaining ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Chill: Transfer the dressing to a mason jar and add the cover. Place it in the refrigerator to allow the flavor to combine and the dressing to thicken.
Chipotle Ranch Dressing Jar Label
If you would like a label for your mason jar of dressing, you can download the free printable label here.
Chipotle Ranch Dressing Frequently Asked Questions
You can use skim milk, light mayonnaise, and light sour cream but the dressing won’t be as creamy or thick. Try adding less skim milk to start and only add more as needed.
Yes, you could add chipotle seasoning to ranch dressing but the results would not be the same as this homemade chipotle ranch dressing recipe.
For a thinner dip, you can use the dressing as is. If you want a thicker dip, add less milk.
- This Creamy Salsa Dressing is super easy to make with only four ingredients and is delicious on tacos or southwest salads!
- Creamy Lemon Vinaigrette tastes like salad dressing from an upscale restaurant! It’s easy to make and works as a veggie dip too!
- This homemade Ranch Dressing recipe is easy to make and better than store-bought! Your family will love using it as a salad dressing and dip.
Was To Use This Dressing
- It was custom-made for drizzling on this Chipotle Chicken Salad.
- You’ll love using this chipotle ranch dressing as a dip for Air Fryer Chicken Tenders.
- This dressing would pair well with the flavors in a Taco Salad!
- Make this Nachos Recipe and serve them with this ranch as a dip.
- Deep-fried Corn Poppers would be delicious dipped in this ranch dressing!
Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers
- 2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Whisk together the whole milk and lime juice. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, adobo sauce, ancho chili powder, dried chives, ground cumin, dried oregano, dried dill weed, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.