This easy Chocolate Pie Recipe is a crowd pleaser! It has a rich, creamy, decadent chocolate pie filling with whipped cream on top.
An old fashioned chocolate pie is universally loved by people of all ages. It can be served at any holiday or celebration but is especially popular at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
What You’ll Need To Make This Chocolate Pie Recipe
The ingredients needed to make an easy chocolate pie filling are similar to making homemade pudding. In addition to the filling, you’ll need to choose a pie crust and decide how to decorate the pie.
Chocolate Pie Filling Ingredients
- To make the filling, you need granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, whole milk, egg yolks, butter, vanilla, and chocolate. The cornstarch is used to thicken the pie filling. We prefer using cornstarch over flour because it works quickly and doesn’t affect the flavor.
- You’ll want to use bittersweet baking chocolate since sugar is already used to make the pudding. Choose high-quality, premium chocolate for the best flavor. Chocolate baking bars are made to melt quickly and smoothly so they are the perfect choice for the filling.
No Bake Chocolate Pie Toppings
- Whipped Cream: Homemade whipped cream on top of any pie brings it to the next level! You can put dollops of whipped cream on the pie, add a swirl in the center, or spread it over the whole pie.
- Whipped Topping: Another option is to use whipped topping instead of whipped cream. It’s a time-saver and also a lighter option.
- Chocolate Shavings: Use any chocolate bar, from milk to bittersweet, to make the chocolate shavings or even chocolate curls for a garnish.
Pie Crust Recipes
- Homemade Crust: We often our simple homemade pie crust to make chocolate pie. A homemade traditional pie crust is so flaky, yet sturdy and it has the best flavor. You’ll need to blind-bake (aka pre-bake) the pie crust before making the filling.
- Store-Bought Crust: A store-bought pie crust is a great option for when you are short on time. You can choose the refrigerated pie dough or a frozen, already-in-the-pie-tin crust.
- Graham Cracker Crust: For a completely no-bake chocolate pie, use a graham cracker crust! You purchase a ready-made graham cracker crust or you can make your own using this simple graham cracker crust recipe:
- Mix together 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, 5 tablespoons of melted butter, and 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar until combined.
- Press the mixture into the pie plate bottom and up the sides.
Chocolate Pie Filling
It is so easy to make this chocolate pie recipe from scratch! Since you will cook the chocolate pie filling on the stovetop so there is no baking involved. Once you’ve made the pudding the old fashioned way on the stovetop and you’ll melt the chocolate into the hot pudding.
- Cooking the Pudding: Start by whisking together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt to help disperse the cornstarch to prevent clumping. After combining the milk and egg yolks, you’ll slowly whisk the mixture into the dry ingredients. Then, cook the pudding until thickened, stirring constantly, scraping the bottom and sides to prevent clumps.
- Adding the Chocolate: Remove the pudding from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate, butter, and vanilla.
- Pie: Pour the filling into the prepared crust and chill in the refrigerator. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chocolate Pie
If your pie is runny, there are a few things that may have gone wrong. You may not have measured the thickener correctly (cornstarch in this recipe), the filling wasn’t cooked long enough to thicken, or the filling wasn’t cooled properly.
Yes, once the filling has chilled, you can fold in whipped cream before spreading the mixture in a prepared crust.
Yes, this pie has to be refrigerated since it contains milk and eggs. It will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Want more pie recipes? Try these next:
This easy French Silk Pie recipe without eggs has a delicious graham cracker crust. It is perfect for serving at holidays and celebrations.
Make a homemade Blueberry Pie with plump berries and a flakey crust. We love eating it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
Use fresh strawberries to make a Strawberry Pie! Be sure to add swirls of whipped cream on top!
A homemade Pumpkin Pie is a must at every holiday dinner from Thanksgiving to Christmas! Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.