Decadent Chocolate Pie is a classic! This recipe has a rich, creamy chocolate filling topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
A chocolate pie is universally loved by people of all ages. It can be served at any holiday or celebration but is especially popular at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Chocolate Pie Ingredients
The ingredients needed to make a classic chocolate pie are similar to making homemade pudding. You need a sweetener, a thickener, a liquid, and egg yolks. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Sugar: We used granulated sugar for the sweetener in this recipe. You could substitute some of the granulated sugar with brown sugar, if you prefer.
- Cornstarch: For the thickener, we prefer using cornstarch but all-purpose flour can be used to make puddings as well.
- Salt: A little salt helps bring out the flavor.
- Whole Milk: We suggest using whole milk for the best flavor and texture. You can use a lighter milk but the results may vary.
- Egg Yolks: The egg yolks help thicken the pudding and give it that rich velvety texture.
- Chocolate: Since sugar is already in the pudding, the chocolate we added is bittersweet. The higher quality of chocolate you use, the better your pie will taste.
- Butter: The butter adds flavor and make the pie filling smooth.
- Vanilla: The vanilla adds flavor. For the best results choose a pure vanilla extract.
- Pie Crust: We used a classic homemade pie crust. You can also use a graham cracker crust or a store-bought crust.
- Whipped Cream: The sweetened whipped cream on top brings this chocolate pie to the next level!
- Chocolate Shavings: Use any chocolate bar, from milk to bittersweet, to make the chocolate shavings for a garnish.
How To Make Chocolate Pie
A chocolate pie is so easy to make! Start by cooking the pudding on the stovetop, then add the chocolate, and pour into a pie crust to chill. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Pudding: The sugar, cornstarch and salt are whisked together to help disperse the cornstarch to prevent clumping. After combining the milk and egg yolks, you’ll slowly whisk the mixture into the dry ingredients. Then, cook the pudding until thickened, stirring constantly, scraping the bottom and sides to prevent clumps.
- Chocolate: Remove the pudding from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate, butter, and vanilla.
- Pie: Pour the chocolate pie filling into the prepared pie crust and chill in the refrigerator. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Chocolate Pie Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
If your pie is runny, either you didn’t measure the thickener correctly (cornstarch in this recipe), it wasn’t cooked long enough to thicken, or it wasn’t cooled properly.
Yes, once the chocolate filling has chilled, you can fold in whipped cream before spreading the mixture in the prepared pie shell.
Yes, chocolate pie has to be refrigerated since it contains milk and eggs.
Yes, you can use a graham cracker crust (homemade or store-bought) instead of the pastry crust.
Want more pie recipes? Try these next:
This easy French Silk Pie recipe without eggs has a delicious graham cracker crust. It is perfect for serving at holidays and celebrations.
Make a homemade Blueberry Pie is with plump berries and a flakey crust. We love it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
Use fresh strawberries to make a Strawberry Pie! Be sure to add swirls of whipped cream on top!
A homemade Pumpkin Pie is a must at every holiday dinner from Thanksgiving to Christmas! Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.