This easy Garlic Bread recipe is a family favorite! Top with mozzarella for garlic cheese bread and serve with marinara sauce.
Garlic bread is the perfect side dish for so many meals and it is great as an appetizer as well! We love it with cheese and simply toasted as well.
Garlic Bread Ingredients
The ingredients needed to make garlic bread are pretty basic and since the recipe is very adaptable, you can use what you have on hand. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Bread: We typically use French or Italian bread for this recipe but you can use any bread you want from ciabatta to hot dog buns.
- Butter: Salted butter is the base of the spread that goes on the bread. It’s what gives it that golden, toasted perfection.
- Garlic: We love using roasted garlic because it add flavor without the sharpness of fresh garlic. You can find my recipe for how to roast garlic here but you’ll need to allow extra time or roast the garlic ahead of time. Fresh minced garlic or garlic powder can be used as well.
- Parmesan: The freshly grated parmesan adds flavor to the garlic toast and helps it get golden brown. You can mix it into the butter or sprinkle it on top after spread the garlic butter on the bread.
- Parsley: We used a little freshly chopped parsley for flavor and color. Dried parsley can be used as well. You can also try using oregano or basil instead of the parsley.
- Mozzarella: If you can garlic cheese bread, you’ll need some shredded mozzarella cheese or whatever shredded cheese you have on hand.
How To Make Garlic Bread
Garlic bread is so easy to make that it can be added to a meal at the last minute. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Slice Bread: Slice the bread in half lengthwise and place it on a foil lined baking sheet. You may need to cut the bread in half widthwise as well to make it fit on your pan.
- Garlic Butter: Mix together the softened butter, garlic (mashed roasted garlic, minced fresh garlic, or garlic powder), parmesan cheese, and chopped parsley. Spread the mixture over the sliced bread.
- Bake: Bake it for 5 minutes if you want it more soft or up to 10 minutes if you want it crusty. Then, cut it into slices.
Make It Cheesy
If you want to make garlic cheese bread, hold off on cutting the toasted bread into slices. Sprinkle the toasted bread with shredded mozzarella cheese and place it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Allow the cheese to cool for a couple of minutes and then cut the bread into slices. Serve it with marinara sauce or pizza sauce for dipping.
Garlic Bread Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
We use roasted garlic to make the BEST garlic bread. You get all of the amazing garlic flavor without the sharpness of fresh garlic.
You can skip the parsley entirely or use Italian seasoning, oregano, or basil instead.
Want more side dish recipes? Try these next:
Crave-Worthy Garlic Knots are a super easy appetizer or side to serve with pizza or pasta. Better make a double batch!
Two Ingredient Dough Breadsticks are the perfect side dish for pasta night! They’re EASY to make with no yeast and no waiting for dough to rise!
This Cheddar Bay Biscuits Recipe is a Red Lobster copycat. Enjoy these tender, flavorful biscuits without having to leave your home!
Two Ingredient Dough Focaccia Bread is a NO YEAST bread that is super easy to make! It can be served as a side, an appetizer, or used for sandwiches.