This easy Garlic Bread recipe is a family favorite! Top with mozzarella for garlic cheese bread and serve with marinara sauce.
Garlic bread is the perfect side dish for so many meals, and it is great as an appetizer as well! We love it with cheese and simply toasted as well.
What You’ll Find In This Post
Garlic Bread Ingredients
The ingredients needed to make garlic bread are pretty basic, and since the recipe is very adaptable, you can use what you have on hand. Be sure to check the recipe card for the complete ingredients list with measurements.
- Bread: We typically use French or Italian bread for this recipe, but you can use any bread you want, from ciabatta to hot dog buns.
- Butter: Salted butter is the base of the spread that goes on the bread. It’s what gives it that golden, toasted perfection.
- Garlic: We love making roasted garlic bread using roasted garlic because it adds flavor without the sharpness of fresh garlic. You can find my recipe for how to roast garlic here, but you’ll need to allow extra time or roast the garlic ahead of time. Fresh minced garlic or garlic powder can be used as well.
- Parmesan: The freshly grated parmesan adds flavor to the garlic toast and helps it get golden brown. You can mix it into the butter or sprinkle it on top after spreading the garlic butter on the bread.
- Parsley: We used a little freshly chopped parsley for flavor and color. Dried parsley can be used as well. You can also try using oregano or basil instead of parsley.
- Mozzarella: If you can garlic cheese bread, you’ll need some shredded mozzarella cheese or whatever shredded cheese you have on hand.
How To Make Garlic Bread
Garlic bread is so easy to make that it can be added to a meal at the last minute. See the recipe card below for the complete instructions.
Slice Bread: Slice the bread in half lengthwise and place it on a foil-lined baking sheet. You may need to cut the bread in half widthwise as well to make it fit on your pan.
Garlic Butter: Mix together the softened butter, garlic (mashed roasted garlic, minced fresh garlic, or garlic powder), parmesan cheese, and chopped parsley. Spread the mixture over the sliced bread.
Bake: Bake it for 5 minutes if you want it more soft or up to 10 minutes if you want it crusty. Then, cut it into slices.
Garlic Cheese Bread
If you want to make garlic cheese bread, hold off on cutting the toasted bread into slices. Sprinkle the toasted bread with shredded mozzarella cheese and place it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Make Ahead and Storage Instructions
- Make Ahead: Follow the recipe as directed but wrap the loaves and place them in the refrigerator instead of baking them. Then, when ready to eat, remove the bread from the fridge and bake it.
- Refrigerator: Allow leftover roasted garlic bread to cool and then store it in an airtight container or ziptop bag in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Freezer: Or store the leftover garlic bread in the freezer for up to two months.
Frequently Asked Questions
We use roasted garlic to make the BEST garlic bread. You get all of the amazing garlic flavor without the sharpness of fresh garlic.
You can skip the parsley entirely or use Italian seasoning, oregano, or basil instead.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Garlic Knots are the perfect side for pizza and pasta. We often have to make a double batch!
- Two Ingredient Dough Breadsticks are simple to make without yeast, and there’s no waiting for the dough to rise!
- These Cheddar Bay Biscuits are a Red Lobster copycat. You can make your favorite biscuits without having to leave your home!
- Two Ingredient Dough Focaccia Bread is so easy to make without yeast! Use it as a side, an appetizer, or to make sandwiches.
- 16 oz loaf French or Italian bread
- ½ cup butter
- 2 heads roasted garlic or mince 3 cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Slice the loaf of bread in half. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cut the loaves in half if needed to make them fit on the pan.
- If using roasted garlic, remove the cloves and mash them into a paste.
- Put the softened butter, garlic (mashed or minced depending on what you chose to use), parmesan, and chopped parsley into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Spread the garlic butter on the sliced bread.
- Bake at 425˚F for 5 minutes for soft garlic bread or 10 minutes for crusty garlic bread.
- Optional: Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until melted.