These crispy Italian breadsticks are perfect for serving with soup. Or use this recipe to make Parmesan cheese twists to serve as an appetizer!
When I shared my recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup I promised that I would share the recipe for the Crispy Italian Breadsticks too.
When I made the soup, I knew that it wasn’t going to have a crust like traditional chicken pot pie, but I wanted to serve some sort of bread with it. I thought about making pie crust crackers or biscuits before settling on breadsticks made from puff pastry.
I love how easy it is to use puff pastry and how versatile it is. I like to keep a box or two in the freezer so it’s always available.
Crispy Italian Breadsticks Recipe Notes
– To store the extra sheet of puff pastry when making only one batch, tightly wrap the remaining, frozen sheet with plastic and return to the freezer.
– Need more breadsticks? Double the recipe and use two sheets of puff pastry.
– Want more varieties? Top the dough with your favorite shredded cheese and spice combos like Cheddar and Rosemary, Dill and Sea Salt, Chili and Garlic, or Ranch seasoning.
– Or try a sweet version of these breadsticks! Thaw the puff pastry and cut into strips like below. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle the strips with brown sugar and cinnamon. Twist and bake as instructed below.
More Ways To Use Puff Pastry
– Start the day with puff pastry for breakfast or brunch in a Bacon and Egg Quiche. The puff pastry makes a delicious crust and you can easily customize it by adding any of your favorite mix-ins from sausage to chopped veggies.
How To Make Crispy Italian Breadsticks:
Thaw a sheet of frozen puff pastry dough. Remove the frozen puff pastry sheet from the package and take off the paper wrapping.
Thaw the sheet of puff pastry on a piece of parchment paper, at room temperature, until it unfolds easily but is still cold.
Do not leave it out at room temperature for longer than 40 minutes.
Unfold the dough and lay it on a non-stick cutting mat or lightly floured surface.
Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut it into thin strips.
Brush the puff pastry breadsticks with melted butter.
Sprinkle them with grated Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning.
Twist the breadsticks and place them on a baking sheet that is covered with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Bake the crispy Italian breadsticks at 400°F for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
Serve these crispy Italian breadsticks with soup like this chicken pot pie soup or use them as an appetizer at a party.