Fried tortillas can be turned into salted tortilla chips or sweet cinnamon sugar chips that are perfect for salsas, nachos, or ice cream!
You know how the tortilla chips at Mexican restaurants are so delicious because they are freshly made? You can fry tortillas at home and make your own fresh, warm, crispy chips for salsa, nachos, taco salad, or fried ice cream!
How do you fry tortillas?
There are a couple of ways to go about frying tortillas. They can be deep fried in oil in a fryer or in a large heavy-bottomed pot white using a thermometer. Or you can pan fry the tortillas.
Should I use flour or corn tortillas?
Both flour tortillas and corn tortillas can be fried. The thinner the tortilla, the thinner and crispier your chips will be. We use flour tortillas to make cinnamon sugar chips for desserts. And we use the corn tortillas to make salted tortilla chips for salsa or queso.
Deep Fried Tortilla Chips
To deep fry the tortillas, heat oil in a deep fryer to 375˚F. Cut the tortillas into triangles and carefully add several triangles to the hot oil. Cook until golden brown, flipping halfway through.
Remove the fried tortilla chips from the oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or sea salt depending on how you plan to use the chips.
Pan Fried Tortillas
To pan fry tortillas, start by heating 1/2 cup of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the tortillas until they are golden brown. Use a spatula or tongs to flip them, making sure that you get both sides brown.
Remove the fried tortilla from the pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or sea salt and cut into triangles.
Is there a way to make lighter fried tortillas?
Yes, you can make a lighter version by using low calorie or low carb tortillas. Then, spray the tortillas lightly with cooking spray and fry them in a skillet. Or bake them in the oven at 350˚F for 7-9 minutes, until golden brown.
What To Serve with Salted Tortilla Chips
- This Pineapple Salsa recipe has a delicious combination of sweet and spicy. It can be served with grilled chicken or fish or as an appetizer with chips.
- Make this Loaded Nachos Recipe to serve at your next party or surprise your family with sheet pan nachos dinner with all of their favorite toppings!
- Cowboy Caviar is a healthy appetizer that is perfect for parties! Serve as salsa with tortilla chips or as a flavorful side salad with chicken and fish.
- This Corn Salsa recipe is a Chipotle copycat with corn, peppers, onions, and cilantro. It can be eaten with chips or on top of chicken, tacos, or fish!
Ways To Use Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
- This easy Caramel Apple Nachos recipe with crispy cinnamon sugar tortilla chips, caramel, whipped cream, and fresh apples is the most delicious fall dessert!
- Fruit Salsa is a healthy appetizer that everyone loves! This fruit salad is super easy to make and is perfect for so many occasions.
- This easy Strawberry Nachos recipe with crispy cinnamon sugar tortilla chips, whipped cream, and juicy strawberries is the most delicious summer dessert!
- Fried Ice Cream has a warm, crunchy shell with cold vanilla ice cream inside. Yes, it really is deep fried and served with cinnamon chips.