Slather this Hamburger Sauce on burgers, drizzle it on pizza, and dip fries in it. This sweet and spicy topping is such a good burger sauce!
Burgers are a popular choice year-round, and while a classic cheeseburger is delicious, we all love adding toppings to take it to the next level! One of our favorite toppings is hamburger sauce, and I wanted to share my recipe with you.
Here’s Everything You Need To Make Hamburger Sauce
Why You’ll Love This Burger Sauce Recipe
A good burger sauce is the perfect complement to a juicy burger! It contains several popular burger toppings, all combined in one tasty sauce. You can easily customize the sauce by adding more or less of your favorite toppings.
Ingredients Needed and Substitutions
- Mayo: The main ingredient in this burger sauce recipe is mayonnaise. It makes the sauce creamy and adds a tangy flavor.
- Ketchup: No burger is complete without ketchup! The sweet, tangy tomato flavor is a classic.
- Mustard: We had to add a little mustard to the sauce for extra flavor. We used yellow mustard, but you can add your favorite mustard.
- Relish: A little sweet pickle relish adds a sweet and sour flavor. If you want a smoother sauce, only add the sweet pickle relish juice.
- Garlic and Onion Powder: This recipe uses both garlic powder and onion powder for extra flavor.
- Sugar: We added some granulated sugar for a touch of sweetness. You can skip the sugar for a tangier sauce or add more for a sweeter sauce.
- Pepper: Black pepper adds a spicy kick to the sauce. For a spicier sauce, add cayenne pepper or hot sauce.
How To Make Hamburger Sauce
All you need to do to make homemade burger sauce is measure, mix, and chill. It comes together in minutes but keep in mind that for the best results, it needs to be refrigerated before serving.
Prep: Measure all of the ingredients into a small bowl.
Mix: Whisk everything together until well combined.
Chill: Cover the bowl or transfer the sauce to a condiment bottle. When using a condiment bottle, you’ll need one with a wide tip, or else you can cut the tip so that the opening is large enough for the sweet pickle relish to fit through. Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.
This recipe is totally adaptable! You can make it spicier, sweeter, or zestier, depending on what your family likes. Or, if you’re having a backyard barbecue, why not make several versions? Put them all into labeled condiment bottles and let your guests choose.
Secret Sauce, which is also known as special sauce, is very similar to this hamburger sauce. To make it, simply leave out the mustard and add a teaspoon of white vinegar.
Spicy Burger Sauce
To make spicy burger sauce, use Dijon mustard instead of yellow mustard and stir in 1/2 tablespoon (or more if desired) of hot sauce. You can also add a little cayenne pepper as well.
Zesty Sauce is popular at Burger King as a burger sauce and as a dip for onion rings and fries! To make Zesty Sauce, add 1-2 teaspoons of horseradish sauce, a teaspoon of lime juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the ingredients in this recipe.
Make Ahead and Storage Instructions
- Make Ahead: This is the perfect condiment to make ahead of time since the flavors really come together while it chills.
- Refrigerator: Store hamburger sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
- Freezer: We do not recommend freezing sauces with mayonnaise since the mayo will separate.
Frequently Asked Questions
A creamy, flavorful sauce made with mayo, ketchup, mustard, sweet pickle relish, and various seasonings.
You could definitely add each topping separately but having them all mixed up into a sauce makes things easy! Plus, you can use hamburger sauce as a dip.
Yes, you can use light mayonnaise instead of regular mayo if you prefer.
Dressing For Hamburgers
Looking for more dressings for hamburgers besides burger sauce? Here are some more delicious ways to top your burgers.
- Spicy Honey Mustard is a sweet, spicy, tangy sauce that goes well on burgers.
- Blue Cheese Sauce can add a sharp, tangy flavor to your burgers.
- Ranch Dressing is a classic topping and dip choice that is universally loved by all!
- Cheese Sauce adds smooth, creamy, cheesy goodness to any burger!
- Put all of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Cover the bowl or transfer it to a condiment bottle with a wide tip. Chill for 1 hour (or overnight) before serving.