We love to have our pizza grilled! It’s so easy to make pizza on the grill and is perfect for families because everyone can add their favorite toppings.
Most people love all of the meat they make on the grill but my family’s favorite is pizza grilled! We’ve made it many different ways over the years and all of that practice resulted in this recipe.
I’ve found that precooking the crusts slightly makes it infinitely easier to add the toppings and grill the pizzas the rest of the way. Try making these mini pizzas for your family and friends and they are sure to be a hit!
Where is the pizza grilled recipe? In this post, I will share step-by-step instructions with photos for how to make the pizza, as well as answering FAQs about the recipe and sharing a short video showing the recipe in motion. But you can go directly to the recipe by scrolling down to the bottom of the post.
How To Make Pizza Grilled
Step One: Dough
Like any homemade pizza, the recipe starts with the pizza dough. For this grilled pizza, I used one batch of the recipe of pizza dough from my blog.
If you prefer to use frozen bread dough, that works too. You’ll need to follow the instructions on the package for how to thaw and rise the dough.
After turning the dough out onto a floured surface, cut it into eight equal sections.
Step Two: Crust
Flatten each section of dough into a circle that is about 6-8 inches wide. If the dough doesn’t want to stretch and flatten, cover it loosely and allow it to rest for several minutes before continuing.
Is your dough is too sticky, making it difficult to form? Sprinkle it with a little flour. Or is it too dry? Try brushing it with a little olive oil.
Next, brush the pizza crust with olive oil and minced garlic on both sides. Place the dough rounds on a parchment covered baking sheet. Cover with additional sheets of parchment and continue stacking the oiled pizza crusts on top.
Turn the grill that has been preheated on high, down to medium heat and cook the crusts for only 1 minute on each side. Remove them from the heat and return them to the pan.
Close the lid of the grill and turn the heat back up to high.
Step Three: Toppings
Now that the crusts are slightly cooked and no longer sticky, you can add your favorite toppings. My family likes to keep things simple with just pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, sliced pepperoni, and oregano.
Step Five: Grilling
Once all of the individual pizza crusts have toppings, head back to the grill. Turn the temperature to low and grill the pizzas for 5-7 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
FAQs About Pizza Grilled
1. Can I make large pizzas instead of individual ones? Yes, you can make the crust whatever size you want. I also have a recipe for Stone Grilled Pizza if you want to use a pizza stone.
2. Does grilled pizza last in the fridge? Yes, you can store leftover grilled pizza in the fridge just like any pizza. Store in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic in the fridge for 2-3 days.
3. Can I make grilled pizza ahead of time? There are several ways to prepare for pizza grilled ahead of time such as making the dough the day before and storing it in the fridge.
Another option is to precook the crusts and store them in the fridge so that they are ready for toppings. Also, you can prep the pizzas with the toppings, store them in the fridge, and then finish grilling them before serving.
More Pizza Recipes To Try
Take pizza night to the next level with Macaroni and Cheese Pizza. This mac ‘n cheese pizza recipe is easy to make for a fun family dinner!
This Stone Grilled Pizza recipe is the perfect way to get that crispy pizzeria crust while keeping the heat outside! Pizza grilled is a family favorite.
Crispy Mexican Tortilla Pizza from Two Peas and Their Pod only takes 15 minutes to make! Topped with good-for-you ingredients, Mexican pizza is an easy family favorite!
A Pretzel Pizza is one of the BEST homemade pizza ever with double cheddar cheese sauce! Make it for parties, game day or a favorite family dinner.
- Preheat the grill on high.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Flatten each piece into a 6-8 inch circle.
- Mix together olive oil and minced garlic. Brush on both sides of the dough rounds. Stack the crust on a baking sheet with parchment paper between layers.
- Turn the grill down to medium heat. Grill the crusts for 1 minute on each side. Return to the baking sheet. Turn the grill back to high.
- Top each crust with 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce, 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, 8 pepperoni slices, and 1/8 teaspoon of dried oregano.
- Turn the grill down to low. Cook the pizzas for 6-8 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Saturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 1325mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 18g