Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Cheesy Chicken Dumplings are a fun twist on this classic recipe! It’s easy to make and perfect for cold nights.
This slow cooker recipe has a flavorful chicken stew topped with cheesy biscuits! You can add veggies to the filling and serve it with a simple salad.
Table of contents
I’ve been making crock pot chicken and dumplings for years! It was one of the first recipes I shared back in May of 2011.
After making that recipe countless times, I decided it was time for a kicked-up version. These Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Cheesy Chicken Dumplings are similar to the original version but they include a couple of my family’s favorite things: garlic and cheese.
How To Make Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Cheesy Chicken Dumplings
First, line a 6-quart slow cooker with a slow cooker liner. It really helps with cleanup! Or you can grease the slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
Then, empty two cans of condensed cream of chicken soup in the Crock Pot. Fill both cans with water and dump them in the crockpot. Add minced garlic and ground pepper and whisk until combined.
Next, sprinkle the boneless, skinless chicken breasts with garlic and herb seasoning and add them to the slow cooker. Cover and cook low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the chicken is fully cooked.
Use two forks to tear the chicken breast into bite-size pieces. Or remove the chicken and cut it into pieces before returning it to the crockpot.
Open a tube of refrigerated biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 6 pieces.
Mix the grated parmesan cheese, garlic and herb seasoning, and black pepper in a small bowl. Roll each piece of dough in the parmesan mixture before placing them on the chicken mixture in the slow cooker.
Cover and continue cooking on high for another hour or until the centers of the biscuits are cooked (the bottoms of the biscuits will remain moist, as they normally do with dumplings).
Before serving the slow cooker garlic and herb cheesy chicken dumplings, sprinkle one cup of finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese over the top, replace the lid, and allow the cheese to melt for 6-9 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please refer to your slow cooker manual for specific instructions regarding using frozen meat.
Yes, that is normal. If you prefer biscuits that are fully cooked all the way through, bake the biscuits in the oven and then spoon the chicken and gravy from the slow cooker over the biscuits when serving.
More Slow Cooker Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo Tortellini is a family favorite!
- These Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs are fork-tender and delicious.
- You can serve Slow Cooker Blueberry Bread Pudding for dessert or brunch!
- Slow Cooker Corn On The Cob is perfect for potlucks and parties.
Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Cheesy Chicken Dumplings
- 21 ounces cream of chicken soup (two 10.5-ounce cans)
- 3 cups water (fill each empty can with water)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons garlic and herb seasoning divided
- 10 ounce tube canned biscuits
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Put the cream of chicken soup, water, minced garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper into a large, greased, or lined slow cooker. Whisk until combined.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of garlic and herb seasoning over the boneless, skinless chicken breasts and add them to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Cut or shred the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces and return them to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together grated parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon of garlic and herb seasoning, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Cut each biscuit into 6 pieces, roll them in the parmesan mixture, and place them on the liquid in the crockpot.
- Cover and continue cooking on high for 45-60 minutes or until the center of the biscuits are cooked. (Use a fork to peel back the top of a biscuit piece to check if it is cooked inside.)
- Sprinkle the biscuits with finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Replace the lid and allow the cheese to melt for 6-9 minutes.