Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Cheesy Chicken Dumplings are an easy dinner recipe for a busy weekday. Put the chicken in the crockpot in the morning and add the dumplings before serving.
I’ve been making slow cooker chicken and dumplings for several years now. It was one of the first recipes I shared back in May of 2011: Chicken and Dumplings.
After making that recipe countless times, I decided it was time for a kicked up version. These Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Cheesy Chicken Dumplings are very similar to the original version but they include a couple of my family’s favorite things…garlic and cheese.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
Where is the Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Dumplings recipe? In this post, I will share step-by-step instructions with photos for how to make the dumplings, as well as answering FAQs about the recipe and sharing a short video showing the recipe in motion. But you can go directly to the recipes by scrolling down to the bottom of the post.
How To Make Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Cheesy Chicken Dumplings
(photo from original post in 2014 hence the red crockpot vs the blue one in the other photos)
Then, empty two cans of cream of chicken soup in the Crock Pot. Fill both cans with very hot water and dump them in the crockpot.
Add minced garlic and ground pepper and whisk until combined. Next, add two pounds of garlic and herb frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Cook this on high for 5-6 hours (8-9 on low).
About 1 1/2 hours before serving, use two forks to tear the chicken breast into bite size pieces.
Open a tube of refrigerated biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 6 pieces.
In a small bowl, mix together one cup of grated parmesan cheese and a half tablespoon garlic pepper.
Roll each piece in the parmesan mixture before placing on the liquid in the Crock Pot.
Put the lid back on and continue cooking on high for another hour or until the center of the biscuits are cooked (the bottoms of the biscuits will remain moist, as they normally do with dumplings).
After 1 1/2 hours have passed and the biscuits are cooked (use a fork to peel back the top of one of the biscuit pieces), sprinkle the top with 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Replace the lid and allow the cheese to melt for 6-9 minutes.
Slow Cooker Garlic Herb Cheesy Chicken Dumpling FAQ’s
1. What kind of chicken breast did you use? I used the Market Pantry brand Garlic Herb Chicken Breasts from Target. If you can’t find garlic herb chicken breasts, just add some extra garlic and some Italian seasoning to the slow cooker when you add the frozen chicken.
2. What kind of biscuits did you use? In the original recipe, I used two of the narrow tubes of Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits, cutting each biscuit into 4 pieces, but they’ve quit selling them (at least in my area they have). So in this updated version, I used one tube of Pillsbury Grands Original and cut them into 6 pieces.
3. Are you supposed to cook frozen meat in the Crockpot? Regarding using frozen meat in the Crockpot…this is directly from the manual: “When cooking frozen meats, at least 1 cup of warm liquid must first be added. The liquid will act as a “cushion” to prevent sudden temperature changes. An additional 4 hours on LOW or 2 hours on HIGH is typically required.”
4. Is it normal if the bottoms of the biscuits are very moist/wet? Yes, the generally will be. If you prefer biscuits that are fully cooked all the way through, bake the biscuits in the oven and then spoon the chicken and gravy from the crockpot over the biscuits when serving.
5. How can I get my biscuits to cook on the tops in the way I want them to? You can move the crockpot crockery insert (without the lid) to the oven to finish cooking.
Here Are A Few More Slow Cooker Recipe’s To Try:
is warm, comfort food at itâ€™s finest. This easy, crockpot recipe will quickly become a favorite family dinner!
This Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs recipe is so easy to make and only requires three ingredients. The result is fork tender, delicious BBQ ribs!
Slow Cooker Blueberry Bread Pudding can be used for either dessert or breakfast and one of our favorite things to eat for dinner is breakfast!
This Slow Cooker Seafood Stew by I Heart Naptime is a delicious seafood recipe cooked in a tomato-based broth with potatoes. This stew is comforting and is an easy to make dinner recipe!