This Stuffed Peppers recipe is bursting with color and flavor! Each bell pepper is filled with beef, sausage, rice, veggies, and cheese.
If you want to eat a more colorful variety of veggies, stuffed peppers are the perfect recipe to make! Plus, they’re fun to eat with each bell pepper working as individual bowls.
Stuffed Peppers Ingredients
To make stuffed peppers, you’ll need fresh bell peppers as well as the ingredients for the stuffing. You can swap out ingredients or add more depending on what your family likes. Scroll down for the complete recipe with ingredient measurements.
- Bell Peppers: We used a combination of colored bell peppers to make this recipe. You can use all one color or choose whatever is available. Even the mini sweet peppers will work but you’ll need more than six of course!
- Meat: This recipe uses both ground beef and ground sausage for the best flavor.
- Seasoning: We seasoned the meat with seasoned salt and coarse ground black pepper.
- Onion: We used diced red onions for the added color but go with your favorite onions or what you have on hand.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds flavor to the filling. You can substitute the minced garlic with 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder if you prefer.
- Diced Tomatoes: For the tomatoes, this recipe uses one can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies. Do not drain the tomatoes because the liquid adds moisture to the filling.
- Rice: The filling includes cooked rice so be sure to prepare that ahead of time. You can also choose cauliflower rice if you want even more veggies.
- Cheese: We chose shredded pepper jack cheese for the added flavor and spice. You can use other shredded cheese if you prefer.
- Cilantro: A little chopped cilantro on top of each stuffed pepper adds a pop of color and flavor.
How To Make Stuffed Peppers
This recipe has three main steps: roast the peppers, prepare the filling, and bake the stuffed peppers in the oven. Scroll down for the printable recipe card and complete instructions.
- Peppers: Start by preparing the peppers and placing them in the oven to roast while making the filling. This will ensure that the peppers are tender and it gives them that delicious roasted flavor.
- Filling: Brown the ground beef and sausage with the seasonings. Then, saute the onions and diced peppers. Add the remaining ingredients and fill each roasted pepper.
- Bake: After topping each one with shredded cheese, bake the stuffed peppers in the oven.
Stuffed Peppers Frequently Asked Questions
No, you do not have to cook the peppers before stuffing them but we encourage you to do so! You can roast the peppers in the oven while preparing the filling for the best stuffed peppers.
Stuffed peppers are often the main dish and can be served with soup, salad, and bread.
In this recipe, we use a combination of ground beef and sausage, spices, onions, garlic, seasoned tomatoes, and pepper jack cheese to make the most flavorful stuffed peppers.
Want more dinner recipes? Try these next:
These Chicken Lettuce Wraps are so flavorful! We used lettuce leaves as taco shells and filled them with sliced chicken, coconut rice, and thinly sliced veggies with peanut sauce on top.
Taco Casserole is the best way to make tacos for your family. Bake everything in one dish and serve it with your favorite toppings.
Garlic Herb Chicken Kabobs have bell peppers, onions, and zucchini. They are the perfect grilled meal.
This Pork Fried Cauliflower Rice recipe is a great way to use leftover pulled pork! And the cauliflower rice helps everyone get more veggies for dinner.