This chewy Caramel Cashew Bars recipe is a delicious combination of salty and sweet with oats, caramel, chocolate, butterscotch, and cashews!
I was recently asked to make some type of bars as part of a lunch for a large group of volunteers. The first thing that came to mind was something chocolate because I love everything chocolate.
Plus, my husband loves desserts with nuts in them, so I finally settled on Chewy Caramel Cashew Bars. These chewy bars are a delicious combination of salty and sweet!
In This Post
How To Make Caramel Cashew Bars
Mix up the oats layer using a stand mixer and set aside one cup for the top. Press the remaining oat mixture into the bottom of a jelly roll pan.
I used my Wilton cookie sheet with sides that measures 15 x 10. Melt the caramels and sweetened condensed milk in the microwave. Pour over the bottom layer and top with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, cashews, and the cup of oat mixture that was set aside. Bake at 350˚F for 22-25 minutes.
My favorite part about these bars, besides the delicious sweet/salty/crunchy combination of caramel, chocolate, and butterscotch, is that they are made in a jelly roll pan, so you get a ton of bars for your effort.
Make Ahead and Storage
- Make Ahead: You can make these bars ahead of time! Once the bars have cooled, you can wrap the pan tightly with plastic wrap or cut the bars and store them in an airtight container.
- Storage: Store the bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days, in the fridge for up to two weeks, or in the freezer for up to three months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can substitute the cashews with other salted nuts or use a mixture!
You can use an equal amount of other kinds of baking chips, such as white chocolate, milk chocolate, or peanut butter.
You could turn them into cookie cups, but this recipe wouldn’t work well as cookies since it has a soft caramel layer that would spread while baking.
These bars were a big hit with the volunteers and my family as well! The recipe is going on our favorites list, and we will be making it often.
- Make homemade Nut Goodie Bars with a nougat center!
- These no bake Peanut Butter Bars have a crispy texture.
- Monster Cookie Bars are way faster to make than cookies!
- These Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Blondies are outstanding.
Caramel Cashew Bars
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 11 oz caramels about 35
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup cashews halves and pieces
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, crushed crackers, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and shortening, with a stand mixer, until smooth.
- Cream the brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in the rolled oats.
- Remove one cup of the oat mixture and set aside.
- Press the remaining oat mixture into a foil-lined jelly roll pan.
- Put the sweetened condensed milk and caramels in a medium, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 3-4 minutes, stirring after each minute until the caramels are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the caramel over the bottom layer in the jelly roll pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and cashews.
- Crumble the remaining cup of the oat mixture over the top of the bars.
- Bake at 350˚F for 22-25 minutes.