This Steak Marinade recipe is a simple combination of pantry-staple ingredients that adds fantastic flavor to your steaks!
In our family, we pretty much like all steaks cooked any which way but even so we have our favorites. We love steaks seared in a pan as I talk about in this post: How To Cook Steak On The Stovetop. Those steaks are seasoned with salt and pepper. But sometimes it is fun to switch things up and season with a marinade for steak!
Steak Marinade Ingredients
- Olive Oil: The olive oil in a marinade helps release the flavor of the herbs, seasonings, and spices. It also adds moisture and helps to prevent sticking when grilling.
- Soy Sauce: We added soy sauce because it enhances the meaty flavor, helps tenderize the meat, and adds salt.
- Sea Salt: Salt helps tenderize the meat as well as adding flavor to it.
- Minced Garlic: For this recipe, we used fresh minced garlic for a great flavor boost but you could use dried minced garlic or garlic powder as well.
- Coarse Ground Black Pepper: Black pepper goes so well with steak and we love the coarse ground option with those bigger grains of pepper.
- Crushed Red Pepper: Adding a little crushed red pepper brings additional flavor to the steak as well has a touch of heat.
- Paprika: The paprika also adds peppery flavor to the steak marinade.
What else can I add to steak marinade?
We tested several different combinations and although they were all okay, this combination ended up being the best steak marinade in our opinion. But everyone likes different things! Here are some more things you could add:
- worcestershire sauce – this could be added as a tenderizer but it also adds a distinctive flavor.
- balsamic vinegar – another tenderizer option that adds a different flavor.
- lemon juice – works as a tenderizer and gives the meat a zesty flavor.
- brown sugar – adds a touch of sweetness and helps with caramelization
- honey – another option for when you want to add sweetness.
- mustard – adds a spicy flavor to the marinade
Steak Marinade Recipe FAQs
That depends on the cut of meat and the flavors you want to add to the steak. High quality, tender cuts of steak can simply be seasoning with salt and pepper. More economical, tougher cuts of steak can definitely benefit from a steak marinade.
Steak marinade is a combination of oil, meat tenderizers, and seasonings. You can use different flavor combinations depending on how you plan to serve the steak.
You should marinate steaks for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours, depending on the thickness of the steak and the cut of meat. We’ve found that 3-4 hours is usually just the right amount.
How To Grill Marinated Steak
Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Remove the steak and discard the marinade for steak. Grease the grill grates before adding the steak. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of your steak and how well you want it cooked.
How long should I cook my steak?
The length of time for cooking steak depends on how thick the steaks are and how you want them cooked. You can use a thermometer to check the temperature. For medium-rare, the temperature should be 130˚F, 140˚F for medium, and 160˚F for well done.
How To Cut Steak
After removing the steak from the grill, top it with herbed butter, and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Then, using a sharp knife, cut the steak into thin slices against the grain. That means you want to look closely at the steak to see which way the lines are running. You’ll want to make the cuts in the opposite direction so that the lines in the steak and the cuts you are making are perpendicular forming a “T”.
Want more marinade recipes? Try these next:
This Adobo Peppers Chipotle Sauce is a fabulous chicken marinade. Put the chicken and the sauce in a gallon sized zip top bag and marinate for 30 minutes before cooking.
A Coconut Milk Marinade is perfect for Mango Chicken Kabobs with a tropical flair including mango and pineapple pieces!
Use a Jamaican Jerk Marinade to make grilled Jamaican Jerk Chicken topped with a fresh pepper salsa is bursting with flavor!
This Garlic and Herb Chicken Marinade recipe makes the BEST juicy, tender, flavorful chicken that is a perfect main dish or delicious on a salad.