This simple Meat Pie recipe with ground beef, tender potatoes, shredded carrots, and flaky puff pastry brings me back to my childhood!
We always referred to this meat pie as pasty. Traditionally pasty is individual baked pastries rather than a casserole dish. But when cooking for a family it is easier to put everything in a casserole dish rather than assemble individual pasty.
Start with browning the ground beef, ground pork sausage, and minced onions. Discard the excess grease.
Can I substitute the ground beef with another meat?
Yes, you can swap the ground beef and pork sausage out with other meat or use just one or the other. Ground turkey is a great choice if you are looking for a lower fat content. My sister makes her meat pie using shredded roast beef!
Add the diced potatoes (I used frozen diced hash brown potatoes), shredded carrots, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
What else can I add to meat pie?
A meat pie is kind of like chicken pot pie in the way that you can easily adapt the recipe to make it the way you want. Many of the traditional recipes include shredded yellow turnips aka rutabaga.
Spread the mixture in a greased casserole dish and top with cubed butter.
Top with a sheet of thawed puff pastry. Cut off the excess dough and crimp to seal.
Why did you use puff pastry when making meat pie?
I love using flaky, golden, puff pastry on my chicken alfredo pot pie as well as on this meat pie. That being said you can definitely use traditional pie crust if you prefer. I’ve got an easy homemade pie crust recipe that would work well!
Mix together the egg and water. Brush over the top of the puff pastry.
Bake at 400˚F for 30-35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the puff pastry is golden brown.
Want more casserole recipes? Try these next:
This Chicken Alfredo Pot Pie recipe has a creamy alfredo sauce filled with juicy chicken and tender vegetables topped with a flaky, golden crust.
Chicken Noodle Casserole is comfort food at its best! A warm, creamy combination of noodles, soup, chicken, and vegetables perfect for family dinners.
Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole recipe with a crunchy, buttery, Ritz cracker topping! It’s classic comfort food that’s perfect for a weeknight family dinner.
Tater Tot Casserole has a creamy layer of ground beef, Italian sausage, green beans, and corn topped with crunchy tater tots and melted cheddar cheese.
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter cut into cubes
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Brown the ground beef, ground pork sausage, and dried minced onion in a large skillet. Drain the excess grease.
- Mix together the browned meat, diced potatoes, shredded carrots, salt, and black pepper.
- Spread in a greased 9-inch deep-dish pie plate (or use a casserole dish). Top with the cubes of butter.
- Cover with a sheet of puff pastry (or use a pie crust), cut off the excess and crimp to seal.
- Whisk together the egg and water. Brush over the puff pastry.
- Bake at 400˚F for 30-35 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the crust is golden.