Wondering how to cook chicken on the stove? This easy stove top chicken recipe makes the chicken golden brown on the outside and juicy on the inside!
There are so many ways to prepare chicken and so many ways to eat cooked chicken but one of the easiest ways to make it is on the stove top. I like that chicken cooked on the stove gets golden brown on the outside yet it says juicy on the inside.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
Where is the stove top chicken recipe? In this post, I will share step-by-step instructions with photos for how to cook chicken on the stove, as well as answering FAQs about the recipe and sharing a short video showing the recipe in motion. But you can go directly to the recipe by scrolling down to the bottom of the post.
How To Cook Chicken On The Stove
Step One: Flatten
This recipe starts with boneless, skinless chicken breasts that have been thawed. Since chicken breasts are generally thicker at one end, for the best results you’ll want to flatten the chicken breasts so that they are more evenly thick.
To flatten the chicken breasts, place them in a gallon size ziplock bag and use a meat tenderizer mallet or a heavy rolling pin to pound on the chicken breasts to flatten them.
Step Two: Season
I kept the seasoning super simple for this recipe and only use sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. There is an endless number of seasoning you could use, so stick to the basics or go ahead and get creative!
Step Three: Cooking the Chicken
Heat a non-stick skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the pan and the oil are hot, carefully add the seasoned chicken breasts.
Don’t overcrowd the pan with chicken. This skillet could probably fit three chicken breasts. If you need more than can comfortably fit in the pan, you’ll have to cook the chicken in batches.
I’ve found that it helps to cover the skillet if you have a lid available. Covering the pan help trap the heat inside and keeps the grease for splattering all over the stove.
How can I tell when to flip the chicken over?
If you look at the side of the chicken breast, you’ll be able to see the chicken cooking. Once the white, cooked chicken goes halfway up the side of the chicken breast, it is ready to turn.
Flip the chicken over and continue cooking it on the other side.
Again, you can add the cover to the skillet if you have one available.
Wondering what temp to cook chicken to?
Cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts to an internal temperature of 165˚F.
The best way to know if your chicken is done is to use a meat thermometer. If you don’t have one, you can cut into the chicken to make sure it is cooked all the way through and the juices run clear but people tend to overcook chicken since they are worried it isn’t done. So, buy a meat thermometer and make it easy!
How To Cook Chicken On The Stove FAQs
1. Can I use frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts? Yes, but you’ll need to thaw them first.
2. What seasonings do you suggest for chicken breasts? Try garlic and herb, lemon pepper, everything bagel seasoning, seasoned salt, and cajun seasoning. You can pretty much use any of your favorite seasonings and spices!
3. How should you store leftover chicken? Store leftover, cooked chicken breasts in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for about 3 months.
4. How to use leftover chicken? We love using our leftover chicken breasts in salads, on pizzas, and in sandwich wraps.
Want More Chicken Recipes? Try These Next:
Jamaican Jerk Chicken topped with a fresh pepper salsa is bursting with flavor! Make it as a meal over rice or as an appetizer with fondue.
Delicious, tender, juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts the whole family loves in less than 30 minutes! These chicken breasts are EASY to make and so versatile.
This Garlic and Herb Chicken Marinade recipe makes the BEST juicy, tender, flavorful chicken that is a perfect main dish or delicious on a salad and pasta.
Honey Garlic Chicken is so easy to prepare and will be a family favorite! Made with chicken breasts and a four ingredient honey garlic sauce.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Put the chicken breasts in a gallon sized ziptop bag (or between two pieces of waxed paper) and flatten to an even thickness.
- Remove the chicken from the bag. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Carefully add the chicken breasts. Turn the heat down to medium. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the chicken breast is cooked halfway through. If you look at the side of the chicken breast, you should be able to see that the white cooked part goes halfway up the breast.
- Flip the chicken breasts over and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 72mg Sodium: 712mg Protein: 24g