These Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches have chocolate and vanilla ice cream between two peanut butter cookies with mini chocolate chips!
Ice cream cookie sandwiches are our favorite novelty ice cream treat! We usually get the chocolate chip version because that is what is available to buy. Since we love peanut butter cookies, we had to make peanut butter ice cream sandwiches, and they are fantastic!
What This Post Includes
What We Love About This Recipe
Ice cream and cookies are two of our favorites already, so combining the two is a definite win! Plus, peanut butter ice cream sandwiches aren’t widely available to purchase, so they feel like an extra special treat. They are easy to make, can be prepared ahead of time, and can be stored in the freezer for later.
Ingredients Needed and Substitutions
Peanut Butter Cookies
We used homemade cookies to make these ice cream sandwiches. You can choose from classic peanut butter cookies or easy 4 ingredient peanut butter cookies. Or you can use ready-to-bake cookie dough. For an even easier option, buy peanut butter cookies from the bakery or make a mini version with packaged sandwich cookies.
You can use any ice cream flavor and brand you want, so go with your favorites. We used chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Choose an ice cream with peanut butter in it for even more peanut butter flavor.
The mini chocolate chips look cute around the ice cream’s edges, adding extra flavor and texture! You could also use chopped peanuts, peanut butter chips, mini M&M’s, chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups, or Reese’s Pieces.
How To Make Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
Use a #20 dough scoop, which holds about three tablespoons, or an ice cream scoop to scoop the softened vanilla ice cream onto a cookie. Top it with another cookie and gently press to flatten the ice cream between the cookies.
Then, add the mini chocolate chips. You can roll the ice cream edge in a bowl of mini chocolate chips and then fill any empty spaces by hand. Immediately transfer them to the freezer to harden.
Repeat the process with the chocolate ice cream to make chocolate peanut butter ice cream sandwiches.
Once the ice cream has hardened in the cookies, wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe, airtight container or bag for storage.
More Ways To Make
Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Sandwiches
Return to your childhood with a peanut butter and jelly ice cream sandwich! Spread strawberry jelly over the peanut butter cookies before adding vanilla ice cream. Then, roll the edges in chopped peanuts or freeze-dried strawberry pieces.
Mini PB Cookie Sandwiches
Make a mini version that is perfect for kids! You can bake mini peanut butter cookies, or for a shortcut, use packaged sandwich cookies (you can leave the filling in the cookies for extra flavor). The process is the same, but only use about one tablespoon of ice cream for the filling.
Peanut Butter Cup
Make peanut butter cup ice cream sandwiches using Reese’s pb cups instead of cookies for a decadent treat. We love this version so much that we dedicated a whole post to them!
What Others Want To Know
Some grocery stores sell them with a chocolate wafer cookie and peanut butter ice cream. But if you want peanut butter cookies with ice cream in the middle, you’ll need to make them at home!
Go with your favorite peanut butter cookies! You can use homemade cookies, store-bought bakery cookies, or prepackaged sandwich cookies.
You can store peanut butter cookie ice cream sandwiches for 2-4 weeks. Tightly wrap each one in plastic wrap and then store them in a freezer bag or container in the freezer.
More Peanut Butter Desserts
- Peanut Butter Fudge – Skip the chocolate and go with peanut butter instead!
- Peanut Butter Balls – Delicious little truffles that everyone loves.
- Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies – A fun twist on the classic no-bake cookies.
- Peanut Butter Bars – Made in a 9×13 pan so that you can share.
- Peanut Butter Pie – Cool, creamy, and totally irresistible!
Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 12 peanut butter cookies
- ⅔ cup vanilla ice cream slightly softened
- ⅔ cup chocolate ice cream slightly softened
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Use a #20 dough scoop (about three tablespoons) or an ice cream scoop to put vanilla ice cream on three peanut butter cookies.
- Top with another cookie and gently press to flatten the ice cream between the cookies.
- Cover the sides with mini chocolate chips.
- Place them in the freezer to harden.
- Repeat with the chocolate ice cream.
- Once the ice cream in the cookie sandwiches has hardened, wrap them tightly with plastic wrap and place them in an airtight freezer bag or container for storage.