This No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream recipe will teach you how to make the best homemade chocolate ice cream without a machine!
We’ve been making no churn chocolate ice cream for years and still love it! It’s so easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for it to harden in the freezer. Our favorite variation is spicy ice cream, and we’ve included that recipe as well!
What You’ll Find In This Post
What You’ll Need To Make It
This no churn chocolate ice cream is made with only three ingredients! The ice cream is unbelievably good and so easy to make.
- Heavy Cream: You’ll need one pint of heavy cream, also known as heavy whipping cream. Heavy cream has at least 36% milk fat. It gives the ice cream a smooth, creamy texture.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: The sweetened condensed milk sweetens the ice cream and adds richness.
- Chocolate: Since we already added sweetness, choose dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate for the chocolate flavor. Use high-quality cacao chocolate baking bars for the best results. We use Ghiradelli 60% cacao chocolate baking bars.
How To Make No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
First, melt the chocolate in the microwave and stir it until it is smooth. Allow it to cool for a few minutes, and then stir in the sweetened condensed milk and three tablespoons of the heavy cream.
Next, beat the remaining heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
Then, fold in the chocolate mixture until smooth.
Once the batter is smooth, transfer it to a 9-inch loaf pan and spread it out into an even layer. Finally, wrap the loaf pan with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for at least 8 hours.
More Ways To Make It
Spicy Ice Cream
One of our favorite variations is making spicy chocolate ice cream which my family likes to call spice cream! It is cool and creamy with a bit of heat. The heat hits after a few minutes, and you need another bite to cool your mouth off.
Spicy ice cream is made the same way, but swap out the regular chocolate for spicy chocolate with chili powder or flavoring in it. Or you can add 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper (depending on how much spice you want) to the batter.
No Churn Chocolate Marshmallow Ice Cream
Chocolate marshmallow ice cream was a staple in our house growing up! I have fond memories of eating it in an ice cream cone on hot summer days. To make this variation, prepare the recipe as directed.
Once the batter is in the pan, add dollops from half of a 7-ounce container of marshmallow cream (about 3/4 cup) to the top of the batter. Use a knife to swirl the marshmallow cream through the chocolate ice cream. Then, cover and freeze until hardened.
Belgian Chocolate Ice Cream
Belgian chocolate ice cream is another easy variation to make. You simply swap out the chocolate baking bars with an equal number of ounces of Belgian chocolate. Then, follow the recipe as directed.
Make Ahead and Storage
This chocolate no churn ice cream is the perfect dessert to make ahead of time since it has to harden in the freezer for at least eight hours. Then, all you have to do is pull it out and serve it to your family and friends at dessert time!
You can store the ice cream in the loaf pan wrapped with plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil. Or you can put it in an airtight, freezer-safe container for storage. Then, store it in the freezer for 2-4 weeks.
What Others Want To Know
The best chocolate is high-quality chocolate baking bars. Chocolate baking bars melt quickly and smoothly and provide an intense chocolate flavor. You can use dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate.
It is made of heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, and melted chocolate.
You can make homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker by beating whipped cream and folding in melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk.
Ways To Use It
- Make an ice cream sundae with whipped cream, white chocolate sauce, chocolate sprinkles or mini chocolate chips, and a maraschino cherry on top.
- Turn this 3 ingredient chocolate ice cream into peanut butter ice cream sandwiches with classic peanut butter cookies, or use these easy 4 ingredient peanut butter cookies and mini chocolate chips.
- You can use this no churn chocolate ice cream with condensed milk to make the best homemade milkshakes!
- Make chocolate deep-fried ice cream with a crunchy coating.
- Use it to make a Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream Cake.
- Make 3 Ingredient Ice Cream for the classic vanilla flavor.
- Oreo Ice Cream is an even better version of the cookies!
- Delight the kids with this Cotton Candy Ice Cream.
- Marshmallow Ice Cream includes swirls of marshmallow cream!
- Biscoff Ice Cream brings cookies and milk to the next level.
No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- 8 oz chocolate baking bar dark or semi-sweet
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl. Heat the chocolate in the microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and continue heating in 15-second intervals, stirring each time, until smooth. Allow the melted chocolate to cool for a few minutes. Then, stir in the sweetened condensed milk and three tablespoons of the heavy whipping cream.
- Use a stand mixer with the whisk attachment to beat the remaining heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the chocolate mixture.
- Spread into a 9-inch loaf pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for 8 hours or overnight or until firm.