Roasted Chickpeas are flavorful, crunchy garbanzo beans that are perfect for snacking on or delicious on top of a salad.
Chickpeas are loved as a plant-based protein source that also contains fiber, both of which are filling. Since most of us wouldn’t eat handfuls of chickpeas straight from the can, roasting them makes them totally snackable!
Covered In This Post
Roasted Chickpeas Ingredients
The ingredients needed to make roasted chickpeas are really simple. You just need canned chickpeas, olive oil, and whatever seasonings you want!
- Chickpeas: You’ll find chickpeas near the canned beans in the grocery store. They are also known as chick peas and garbanzo beans.
- Olive Oil: We used olive oil to help the roasted chickpeas turn golden, as well as help the seasonings stick.
- Cajun Seasoning: The main seasoning we used was cajun. It’s a savory, spicy combination of flavors we love.
- Garlic Powder: Even though cajun seasoning contains garlic powder, we wanted to increase the garlic flavor.
- Seasoned Salt: We wanted to add some salt to the roasted chickpeas and opted for seasoned salt for the additional flavors it would bring.
How To Make Roasted Chickpeas
Luckily it is really easy to make roasted chickpeas because once you make them, your family will be asking for them again and again!
Prepare: Rinse, drain, and dry the chickpeas. We found that removing the skins makes the chickpeas crunchier, but it takes more time. They are good both ways, so choose whichever you prefer.
Coat: Spread the chickpeas on a parchment-covered baking sheet and coat with olive oil and seasonings.
Roast: Bake them in the oven at 375˚F for 35-40 minutes, stir (or shake the pan) every 10-15 minutes until they are crunchy!
Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
The main thing is to bake the chickpeas long enough. Every oven varies, as does every brand of chickpeas. Also, make sure to dry the chickpeas well, and removing the skins will make them crunchier.
Yes, if you are starting with dry chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) from a bag, you will need to boil them before roasting them. Follow the instructions on the package and then proceed with the roasting recipe.
We mainly eat roasted chickpeas as a snack, but they are also delicious on top of salads or soups.
More Snack Recipes
- You only need four ingredients to make Baked Apple Chips!
- These Spicy Pretzels are a family favorite!
- Two Ingredient Dough Crackers are the perfect snack!
- Make these copycat Anutie Anne’s Soft Pretzel Nuggets for an after-school snack!
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pat dry with a paper towel. Remove the skins, if preferred, for crunchier chickpeas.
- Spread the chickpeas out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle with cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and seasoning salt. Stir to coat.
- Roast at 375˚F for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are lightly browned and crunchy.