This easy Spicy Pretzels Recipe with ranch seasoning is irresistible! These crunchy, salty, buttery pretzels are the perfect finger food.
My son was totally craving Dot’s Pretzels, and our little local grocery store doesn’t sell them. So instead, I bought some pretzel sticks and spices to make my own copycat version at home. The homemade spicy pretzels were a huge hit not only with my son but also with our friends and family, who say they are even BETTER than the store-bought version!
What You’ll Find In This Post
What You’ll Need To Make Them
- Pretzels: If butter-flavored pretzels are unavailable in your area, you can use regular pretzel sticks instead. We prefer the added flavor of the butter pretzels. Also, these pretzel sticks are twisted, creating little groves, and the seasoning mixture really sticks to the groves!
- Oil: For the oil, we used a combination of melted butter and canola oil. The butter provides flavor, and the canola oil coats the pretzels well without adding additional moisture. You can substitute olive oil or vegetable oil for the canola oil.
- Ranch Dressing: You’ll need two packets of powdered ranch dressing mix. The dry, powdered mix adds the flavors of ranch dressing without making the pretzels soggy as the salad dressing would.
- Sriracha: We added a teaspoon of sriracha sauce for heat; add more for even spicier pretzels. Or you can add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper instead of the sriracha or in addition to it.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, cajun seasoning, and onion powder provide additional flavor.
- Parmesan: The grated Parmesan adds flavor and helps the oil and seasonings stick to the pretzels. We used the powdered kind from a green shaker can.
There are so many spices that can be added to make seasoned pretzels, so go with what you prefer. Other popular pretzel spices include dill weed, cayenne pepper, and lemon pepper seasoning. You can add them in addition to the spices already in the recipe or as a substitution.
How To Make Spicy Pretzels
Spread the butter-flavored pretzel sticks on a large, rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan.
Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Add the canola oil, Hidden Valley Ranch powdered dressing mix, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, sriracha sauce, and onion powder.
Whisk the seasoning mixture until combined, and immediately pour over the pretzels.
Stir until all of the pretzels are coated with the oil and spicy pretzel seasoning mix.
After you coat the pretzel sticks with the seasoning, sprinkle them with grated Parmesan cheese and stir to coat.
Bake the spicy seasoned pretzels at 220˚F for 20-30 minutes stirring after 15 minutes, until the oil is absorbed.
How To Store Spicy Ranch Pretzels
Store the spicy pretzels in an airtight container in the pantry. You can put all of the pretzels in a large zip-top bag or container with a lid.
We’ve also found that dividing the spicy ranch pretzels into snack-size servings in separate baggies makes it super easy to grab a snack and go.
Other Ways To Make Them
No Bake Spicy Pretzels
To make a no bake version, substitute the melted butter and canola oil with 8 ounces of butter-flavored popcorn oil! After coating the pretzels, cover the pan and set it aside. Then stir the pretzels every 15 minutes for three hours total, or until the oil is absorbed.
Spicy Snack Mix
Another fun way to make these seasoned pretzels is to add other snack items such as Goldfish, oyster crackers, Cheezits, Chex cereal, and nuts to the mix. Just remember to use fewer pretzels when adding additional ingredients.
To go for even more of a tex-mex flavor, use a southwest spice blend! It includes spices similar to the taco seasoning. Substitute 3 teaspoons of southwest seasoning for the garlic powder, cajun seasoning, and onion powder called for in this recipe. Then follow the recipe as directed.
What Others Want To Know
You can use any of the pretzels you want, from twists to sticks and squares to circles. Or you can also use a combination of pretzel types. But we prefer the butter flavor pretzel sticks.
The seasoning mixture for this spicy pretzels recipe starts with melted butter and canola oil. Then, to those two ingredients, we add sriracha sauce, powdered buttermilk ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, and onion powder.
Additional Pretzel Recipes
- Crack Pretzels – An yummy snack any time of the year!
- Cheese Pretzels Recipe – Crunchy, buttery, cheddar cheese-flavored pretzels.
- Garlic Parmesan Pretzels – The most popular flavor combination!
- Honey Mustard Pretzels – For a sweet and tangy snack.
- Buffalo Sauce Pretzels – Perfect for buffalo wings fans!
- Preheat the oven to 220˚F.
- Pour the pretzels in a large rimmed baking sheet (or roasting pan).
- Whisk together the melted butter, canola oil, sriracha sauce, buttermilk ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, and onion powder.
- Pour over the pretzel sticks and stir until coated.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and stir until coated.
- Bake at 220˚F for 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.