This Mulled Cider recipe is easy to make with apple cider and mulling spices. Add whipped cream and caramel for a Starbucks hot apple cider!
Although I love coffee drinks, it is great to have another option to offer family and friends during the holidays. Mulled cider is a favorite of everyone, from young to old.
What You’ll Find In This Post
Ingredients Needed For Mulled Cider
- Apple Cider: We prefer the flavor of apple cider in this recipe, but you can also use apple juice.
- Fruit: Add one apple and one orange for flavor and looks.
- Brown Sugar: Sweeten the hot apple cider with brown sugar.
- Spice: Season the cider with cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and whole allspice.
Mulled Cider Spices
The mulling spices used for making mulled cider are simple: cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and whole allspice berries!
Here’s an easy gift idea: Put the mulled cider spices in a glass spice jar and add a printed label. Give the jar along with some cute mugs and a printed copy of the recipe. You can even include an apple, an orange, and a jug of apple cider!
How To Make Non Alcoholic Cider
Thinly slice an apple and an orange removing any seeds you find inside.
Put the apple cider, brown sugar, apple slices, orange slices, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and whole allspice berries in a large pot. Stir to combine.
Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Once the hot apple cider is warm, it is ready to drink, but if you let it simmer for longer, it will be more flavorful. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 30-60 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use apple juice, but you may want to skip the brown sugar in this recipe if sugar was added to your apple juice.
Apple cider is made by mashing whole apples and pressing out the juice. Its flavor is more tart, and its appearance is cloudier.
Apple juice, on the other hand, is mashed, filtered, strained, and cooked. Some brands also add sugar. It is often sweeter in taste and clearer in appearance.
In America, apple cider, like the cider used in this recipe, is non-alcoholic. What we call “hard cider” here in America is referred to as “cider” in other countries. It’s an important distinction!
Yes, put all of the ingredients in a crockpot and stir to combine. Add a cover and cook on low until heated.
Leftovers and Storage
- Fridge: Remove the cider from the heat and allow it to cool. Strain it into a pitcher and store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Leftovers: My favorite way to enjoy leftover cold apple cider is to make sparkling apple cider with it! Fill a cup about 1/4 of the way with chilled cider and fill the rest of the cup with ginger ale.
- Freezer: You can also store leftover apple cider in the freezer. Put it in a freezer-safe container, leave some headspace for expansion, and freeze for 1-2 months.
A Starbucks Caramel Apple Spice is made with steamed apple juice with cinnamon syrup topped with whipped cream and caramel sauce.
You can use this recipe to make a copycat Starbucks hot apple cider! Simply top a mug of hot mulled cider with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel syrup.
It already has the cinnamon flavor from the mulling spices and is sweetened with brown sugar, so you don’t even have to add the cinnamon syrup.
The hot mulled cider looks really pretty when served in insulated glass mugs with a thin slice of apple and a cinnamon stick for garnish!
More Holiday Drinks
- Serve this Cranberry Orange Holiday Punch at your next holiday get-together!
- Make these colorful Sherbet Punch Recipes for every occasion.
- Creamy Pumpkin Spice Whipped Coffee is the perfect drink to enjoy during fall!
- Sparkling Pomegranate Lime Holiday Punch is a pretty-looking, family-friendly drink.
- Thinly slice the apple and the orange. Remove and discard any seeds or stems.
- Put all of the ingredients in a large pot and stir to combine.
- Bring it to a simmer over medium-low heat. Turn heat to low and simmer for 30-60 minutes.
- Serve hot. Garnish with apple slices, cinnamon sticks, whipped cream, and caramel sauce, if desired.
- Or strain and chill the mulled cider and serve it cold.