This 30-minute skillet recipe for orange chicken is easy to make and so delicious! It’s an easy dinner recipe that your whole family will love.
My girls two favorite Chinese take-out dishes are orange chicken and sesame chicken. After my Honey Sesame Chicken was such a huge success with my family, I decided to try making Orange Chicken.
My plan was to make the orange chicken in my Crockpot like I did the sesame chicken, but I made a 30-minute skillet recipe instead.
UPDATE: This recipe was originally shared in August of 2014 and has been very popular. But after many of my readers expressed their disappointment in this recipe, I decided to update it in July 2016 to make it milder with less orange flavor as they requested.
For the rest of you, I hope this updated version is more in line with what you were looking for.
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
How To Make Orange Chicken
Add the chicken and stir to coat. Allow the chicken to marinate for 5 minutes.
While it is marinating, prepare the orange sauce so that it is ready when you need it later.
I made this orange chicken a little healthier by opting not to deep fry the chicken pieces. Instead, the chicken in sauteed in two tablespoons of oil.
Stir-fry the chicken, over medium-high heat, for 5-7 minutes until golden and cooked through.
Add the orange sauce to the chicken and cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened.
Your kitchen should be smelling pretty amazing by now and your family will be coming into the kitchen asking what you are making!
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onions, if desired and serve the orange chicken over rice or noodles.
We really enjoyed this orange chicken and ate the leftovers the next day. Vanessa said that she has never tasted orange chicken that actually tastes like oranges and that she really liked it! I love that the entire meal can be made in less than 30 minutes.
Orange Chicken 30 Minutes Skillet Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil for frying
- Sesame seeds & sliced green onions for garnish if desired
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon water
- Start by cutting 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts into chunks (about 1 – 1 1/2 cubes). Mix together soy sauce, cornstarch, and water. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Allow the chicken to marinate for 5 minutes.
- While it is marinating, prepare the orange sauce so that it is ready when you need it later. Whisk together fresh squeezed orange juice, dark brown sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, orange zest, and optional sriracha sauce. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Remove the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon and carefully add it to the skillet. Stir-fry the chicken, over medium-high heat, for 5-7 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Add the orange sauce to the chicken and cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring often until the sauce has thickened.
- Top with sesame seeds and sliced green onions, if desired. Serve over rice or noodles.