This S’mores Bars recipe has a graham cracker cookie crust topped with toasted marshmallows and Hershey Kisses! Can’t build a bonfire to make s’mores? Make everyone happy with this smores bars recipe instead.
S’mores are one of those things that just scream summer! You know that they can be eaten any time of the year, but who makes s’mores in the middle of February, right?
Actually, I do remember toasting marshmallows over a gas store, with my grandma in her apartment, so you really don’t need a bonfire at all.
And you don’t need a bonfire to make these S’mores Bars that I am sharing with you today! They have a graham cracker cookie bar crust with chocolate and toasted marshmallows on top… and they can definitely be made year round!
Disclaimer: This post contains links to products for making this recipe. If you use those links, I may earn a commission. Learn more here.
S’mores Bars Recipe
Step One: crush the graham crackers
Start by making 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs by chopping or crushing about 5 full graham cracker sheets.
Use a food processor if you have one available.
Or put the graham crackers in a gallon sized ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Step Two: make the s’mores bars dough
Make the dough.
Mix together the baking soda and water and set it aside.
Cream together shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
Add vanilla, egg and baking soda/water mix.
Gradually beat in flour, graham cracker crumbs and salt.
Mix in 1/2 cup of mini Hershey’s Kisses by hand.
Spread in a greased 8-inch square pan.
Step Three: bake the s’mores bars
Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
Step Four: add the s’mores bars toppings
Turn the broiler on and top the bars with mini marshmallows.
Place the bars under the broiler for 30-60 seconds to toast the marshmallows.
Watch them carefully because they will burn quickly!!
Turn the oven off and sprinkle the bars with more mini Hershey’s Kisses.
Return the pan to the still warm oven for a couple of minutes to melt the Kisses.
Allow the bars to cool before cutting them.
These smores bars are to-die-for! The cookie crust was adapted from these chocolate chip cookie bars which I already love.
The addition of graham crackers, toasted marshmallow and kisses make them all the better. My sister and her husband just bought a house and they are doing a little updating to the house before they move in.
I brought these bars over there to share with everyone who was helping. While I took a brief tour of the house, the bars were devoured!
S’mores Bars Recipe Tips and FAQ
1. What are Hershey’s Mini Kisses? They are a smaller size of the traditional kisses and come unwrapped for easy baking.
2. Where can you buy Hershey’s Mini Kisses? From Amazon or in the baking department of a grocery store with the chocolate chips. It does appear that they are getting harder and harder to find.
3. Can’t find the mini kisses? I couldn’t find them recently so I used these milk chocolate chips because they are larger in size. You could also use chopped full sized kisses, or cut up Hershey’s bars.
4. Don’t overbake these s’mores bars. The longer they bake the harder and drier they will be.
5. HELP! I burnt the marshmallows. What can I do? Don’t worry this happened to me too. Use a fork to lift the burnt marshmallows off the s’mores bars. Add new mini marshmallows and try toasting them again.
Obsessed with s’mores recipes? Try these next:
S’more Pie Pops by The Gunny Sack: A s’more is a quintessential summer dessert and this easy S’more Pie Pops recipe captures the goodness of s’mores in a flaky pie crust.
S’mores Cheesecake Fluff Salad by Inside Brucrew Life: Make a big bowl of this S’mores Cheesecake Fluff Salad to take to all your picnics and barbecues this summer. Chocolate, marshmallow, and graham cracker goodness will make it disappear in a hurry.
S’mores Cheesecake by The Gunny Sack: No Bake S’mores Cheesecake is easy to make with creamy chocolate filling, chocolate ganache, a graham cracker crust and toasted marshmallows on top!
Mini S’mores Cheesecakes by Miss In The Kitchen: Easy and delicious Mini S’mores Cheesecakes are going to be the hit of any party or celebration. Creamy vanilla cheesecakes are topped with milk chocolate, toasted marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs for an irresistible treat!
No Bake S’mores Cookie Cups by The Gunny Sack: No Bake S’mores Cookie Cups recipe for irresistible, bite-sized treats that are easy to make and perfect for when you don’t want to turn the oven on.
S’mores Bars Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix baking soda and water. Set aside.
- Cream together shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Add vanilla, egg and baking soda/water mix.
- Gradually beat in flour, graham cracker crumbs and salt.
- Mix in 1/2 cup of mini Hershey's Kisses by hand.
- Spread in a greased 8 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn the broiler on.
- Sprinkle mini marshmallows over the bars.
- Place under broiler, for 30-60 seconds, to toast marshmallows. Watch carefully because they toast quickly!
- Turn oven off and remove the bars.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mini Hershey's Kisses and return to the still warm oven for a couple of minutes to soften Kisses.