Warm up with a bowl of hearty White Chicken Chili topped with shredded cheese and chopped cilantro and served with cornbread.
Take a break from your traditional chili recipe and try out some white chicken chili for dinner this week. I was delighted that my whole family loved it. This meal comes together quickly and the leftovers taste just as good the next day!
Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the onions and cook while stirring for about three minutes.
Add the minced garlic and diced green chilies. Continue cooking for one minute.
Stir in the flour, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
Cook while stirring for two minutes. The mixture will clump together as shown in the photo above.
Pour in the chicken broth. Cook while stirring for two minutes, until the flour is dissolved.
Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the milk, diced chicken, great northern beans, and corn. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and then remove from heat.
What else can I add to this white chicken chili recipe?
Chili is one of those fun recipes where you can easily add or subtract ingredients to make it your own! Here are some additional ingredients that would be delicious in this white chicken chili:
- black beans
- diced tomatoes & peppers (like Rotel)
- softened cream cheese
- diced jalapeños
- powdered ranch dressing mix
- shredded carrots
- diced potatoes
What toppings go on white chicken chili?
We topped our white chicken chili with shredded pepper jack cheese and chopped cilantro. It is also super good with fritos or crushed doritos on top. Here are some more ideas:
- cotija cheese
- Monterey jack cheese
- diced avocados
- tortilla strips
- sliced jalapeños
- sour cream
What goes with white chicken chili?
Want more soup recipes? Try these next:
This spicy Corn and Sausage Chowder recipe with potatoes, cheese, and tomatoes is a hearty soup that is perfect for chilly evenings.
Italian Sausage Soup recipe for a creamy, comforting soup with noodles that is full of flavor and perfect for a family dinner during the cold winter months!
A hearty bowl of Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Soup is the perfect way to warm up! Put it in the crockpot in the morning on a busy weekday for an easy dinner.
This Chicken Wild Rice Soup recipe contains ham for added flavor. It is perfect for cold winter days!
White Chicken Chili
- 3 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 15.8 oz cans great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 11 oz can super sweet white corn drained
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the minced onion. Cook while stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add diced green chilies and minced garlic. Cook while stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Cook while stirring for 2 minutes. The mixture will clump together.
- Pour in the chicken broth. Cook while stirring for two minutes, until the flour is dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Stir in the milk, diced chicken, great northern beans, and corn.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Top bowls of chili with shredded pepper jack cheese and chopped cilantro