The ultimate Breakfast Tacos you wish were included on the Taco Bell Breakfast menu with scrambled eggs, tater tots cheese sauce, and bacon!
While the fast food breakfast menu includes burritos, quesadillas, and crunch wraps and we think it should also include tacos! These flavorful breakfast tacos start with a toasted tortilla and include layers of toppings with fresh pico de gallo on top. This is a great recipe to make for a big family or holiday guests because the ingredients can be made ahead of time, and it can be served buffet style, with everyone making their own version.
Here’s Everything You Need To Make The Ultimate Breakfast Tacos
Breakfast Tacos Ingredients
The ingredients needed to make this recipe are similar to gourmet tacos! For example, instead of traditional taco meat, we used crumbled bacon and ground sausage. And rather than using cilantro rice, we added crispy tater tots. The fantastic thing about this recipe is that you can use what you have on hand and make your own version!
If you are short on time, you can buy many of the ingredients already prepared from the grocery store, such as store-bought pico and bacon bits. Or you can prep the ingredients the day before and store them in the fridge until you are ready to serve them.
- Tortilla: We used small street taco corn tortillas, but you can use flour tortillas if you prefer. The street-sized tortillas are about 4 to 4 1/2 inches wide. We felt that this was the perfect size for an open taco, but a larger size would work for a folded taco.
- Eggs: You’ll need about one egg for each taco. We made eight scrambled eggs for this recipe, but you can scale up or down depending on your needs.
- Potatoes: We used mini tater tots because they are the perfect size for these tacos. Other potato options would be fried diced potatoes and hashbrowns.
- Sauce: Every taco tastes better with a drizzle of cheese sauce! You can use cheese sauce, queso, or queso blanco.
- Meat: We added both crumbled bacon and ground sausage! Other options include diced ham and ground chorizo.
- Toppings: For toppings, we used shredded cheese and pico de gallo. You could also include sliced avocado, sour cream, salsa, diced jalapenos, black beans, and roasted peppers.
How To Make Breakfast Tacos
The best way to make breakfast tacos depends on the person making them! So make all of the toppings ahead of time and place them in bowls to allow everyone to make their own tacos. Or if you are making them for yourself you can assemble them and place them in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Then, reheat them in the microwave and add the fresh pico before enjoying them.
We started by toasting the tortillas with a kitchen torch. You can also brown them in a hot skillet. Then we added the toppings in this order: scrambled eggs, tater tots, cheese sauce, crumbled bacon, ground sausage, shredded cheese, and pico de gallo.
Country Style Breakfast Tacos
For a country-style version, use scrambled eggs, diced ham, shredded hashbrowns, diced onions, diced green peppers, and American cheese.
To make a southern-style option, top with scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, fried diced potatoes, and country gravy.
For the veggie lovers, layer scrambled eggs with spinach, roasted vegetables, sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes, and sliced avocado.
Meat Lovers Breakfast Tacos
Go big with several meat options: crumbled bacon, diced ham, ground sausage, ground chorizo, and sliced steak. The true meat lovers will add some of each one!
Frequently Asked Questions About Breakfast Tacos
Even though the Taco Bell breakfast menu does not include breakfast tacos, they are a delicious thing and you can make them at home!
They are made with a tortilla that is filled with eggs, potatoes, cheese, meat, and toppings.
Want more recipes to start the day? Try these next:
- These Southwest Breakfast Burritos are bursting with flavor! You can make them ahead of time and store them in the freezer for a quick breakfast.
- Make a stack of golden brown French Toast for your family to enjoy for breakfast! Serve with butter, maple syrup, and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Start the day with a Breakfast Skillet made all made in one pan. It includes scrambled eggs, sausage, and roasted vegetables.
- Baked Oatmeal is a great way to feed a crowd! We love eating it with vanilla yogurt and fresh berries on top.
- Toast the tortillas with a kitchen torch or brown them on a hot skillet.
- Top with scrambled eggs, tater tots, cheese sauce, bacon, sausage, cheddar cheese, and pico de gallo.